The install you all should see.

Username: Frppower

Newportnews, Va. Usa

Post Number: 1
Please check out my install and rate it thanks. http://www.carstereo.com/installs/photo_gallery_album.cfm?galleryid=1045 click on rate system button.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9777
deja vu

Bronze Member
Username: Deezel

Post Number: 34
That's an excellent install and everything but...

all that money, and all that work....

....and you put your subs into a bandpass box? I haven't heard a setup with a custom or prefab bandpass box that I thought sounded good at all.

The motorized speaker boxes is a great idea, that way you can listen to music while driving one way, and then listen to music on the beach or something by flippping them the other way.

However, boo on the bandpass though. But that might just be because I hate bandpass boxes.

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 121
I think your install looks awesome man good job!

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 810
that's definitely a party starter.
could use that when i'm chillin in the parkin lot with my homies lol

Newportnews, Va. Usa

Post Number: 2
Thanks i really appreciate the nice comments

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 813
it's the Golden Rule: if you are constantly ragging on other people's setups, then when you try to "shine" everyone craps on you(figuratively). do you know what db it hits around(guestimate).:-)

Newportnews, Va. Usa

Post Number: 3
I have never had it on a professional meter like termlab,but i do have my own meter that i bought from parts express its a goldline spl-162 reads up to 162db iam not shure if its 100% accurate but it was $500 dollars and its digital with a hold mode.Ive been able to put it to 156.

Bronze Member
Username: Deezel

Post Number: 35
^^ Not sure if you were referring to me, but I was not crapping on anything.

I think the install looks great, but he asked for opinions.

I think its one of the coolest installs I've seen, but I just think that bandpass boxes sound terrible. They offer boomy loud bass within a limited range with less then spectacular accuracy.

Not everyone's install is perfect, I wouldn't call critiquing "crapping" on someone.

Newportnews, Va. Usa

Post Number: 4
Its cool man, i know that bandpass boxes dont have good sound quality.This just gave me the look i wanted.I am putting a 10 in a center console that iam builing for it,and i have it set up so i can switch to just the 10,and the front and rear diamonds if i want it to have good sounding bass and a good front stage. Again i appreciate the nice comments.

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 817
i wasn't referring to you, King Deezie, just being polite, and i really do like his install.

but i do not think it is "cool" when people(*cough* anonymous) come on this forum and start sh*t with people, saying that their Blah Blah is louder than his Blah Blah, when in fact they have never heard the ohter person's system. b/c then the thread gets out hand and wayyyyyy off-topic.:-)

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 818
besides that, judgeing how something sounds is completely subjective.(in the "Ear of the Beholder" lol) so when someone says that their 2 Sony X-Plod 12's with 1500 peak watts sounds incredible, that might have been the only system they have heard, and have nothing else to compare it to.:-)

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4590
There are some bandpass boxes that sound excellent, just depends on how it is implemented. Subs in a bandpass enclosure will have lower distortion than ported or sealed, within their range of course. But, the group delay and phase response counteracts the distortion benefit :-).

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3549
I don't know why so many people hear bandpass box and automatically assume $hitty sound quality. Maybe it's because so many of them are made wrong and sound like crap? I've heard some very good bandpass box's, and you'd never guess it was bandpass.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4597
You can thank Best Buy and Circuit City for that, offering pre-fab bandpasses for a wide range of subwoofers, in which the subwoofers suck to top off the crappy box. Add the fact that companies like Audiobahn and Pyramid sell bandpass systems with neon in it and you know why they get a bad rep :-). It's easy to say they sound bad, but bandpass boxes are among the most difficult to implement and require a LOT more calculation than a sealed box. Pretty much anybody with some wood glue and a portable drill can put together a sealed box, you can be 10% off and not notice a big difference in sound quality. Do that to a bandpass and you'll risk blowing the cones out of the subs.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9789
here's the problem with 4th order bandpass enclosures:
they can be relatively flat in response and play very low.. but at this point you may as well save space and go ported or sealed.
They can have incredible gain and get very loud, but to do this, they need to be tuned high, arounf 65Hz, and at that point yeah they sound like poo. Too boomy, too warm, and too much coloring to the response.

That's your trade-off, and I really see no advantage to either one. If you want a lot of SPL, scrap 4th order, forget SQ entirely and go 6th order.
If you want extended low end response with good musicality, go ported ot TL or even snail shell/folded horn.

I've just never seen an ideal use for a 4th order wnclosure that couldn't be done better with something else.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us