Type-X slotted/sealed comparison?

allende5
Unregistered guest
Has anyone done an apples to apples comparison with their Type-X in a slotted enclosure vs. a sealed. Because of space requirements, I need to reduce the size of my enclosure. I'm debating between reducing the size and depth of my slotted enclosure vs. just going with the Alpine recommended .9 cubic sealed.

Going with the sealed would make everything a lot easier, but I don't want to sacrifice too much of the ultra low sub response I get now. My current enclosure is 1.8 cubic tuned to about 31.50Hz.

Any input? Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

Post Number: 18
Does it sound good with 1.8 cubic feet in a slotted? just wondering because i ordered 2 a few days ago.

allende5
Unregistered guest
Yeah, I have no complaints about the current SQ. I basically designed the box off of the recommended volume in the manual...but made some adjustments to the dimensions to allow it to fit in my car. If you can afford the space, they sound nice in that size enclosure with very deep response. I have my low pass x-over set at about 70-75Hz and my sub-sonic filter at about 30Hz.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9776
the type X has a Qts that makes it better suited to a sealed box anyway. I'd go sealed.

Bronze Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

Post Number: 19
glasswolf, i went to alpines website and they said it should be between .75 - 2.0 cubic feet sealed. What do you think would be the best because thats kind of a large gap in size.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4578
That gap is a tad bit large :p. Bigger the better in the case of that sub, it isn't really inclined for small sealed boxes.

allende5
Unregistered guest
Thanks Glass. Yeah, I noticed that WinISD shows this sub as being best suited for sealed. I know how to use WinISD enough to build a decent ported enclosure, but haven't a clue on how to use it to build a sealed. Alpine has the "optimum" sealed enclosure for this sub at .9 cubic. But as Jake Papa mentioned, it can be a range of .75-2.0 cubic feet. I'd like to have some way to gauge what my trade-offs are when deciding how much volume to give the box. I guess I'll go with the .9 cubic feet for now...but it seems awefully small for this sub. Man...I just want this system to be done with at this point. Getting good sound in a Miata is not easy...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us