12" Kicker CompVR

Silver Member
Username: Yamahabanshee1

Paulding, Ohio USA

Post Number: 159
What do you guys think of these subs? THis is a first system for me so I aint going to krazy! I can get a pair for 160$! what do you think! Does anybody on here have a pair they would sell or trade! how will they sound in a S10 extreme Ext Cab being pushed by a 1200watt Visonik amp and Pioneer Hi's and Pioneer HU? I am making both subs there own Sealed Box!
How do they compare to these 3 systems
1- 2 12" RF Punch2's with a SPL 820 watt amp in a sealed box in a grand am with Pioneer Hi's and HU!
2- 3 12" Fusion PowerPlants with 2 Fusion Amps each sub has its own sealed box and 2 Capacitators, Pioneer Hi's and HU! In a cavalier.
3- 2 12" Kicker Comp's with a Fusion 1402 Amp, Pioneer Hi's and HU. Both Subs in a Sealed box in a Acura!
I havent bought the kickers yet becuase I want to be somewhere in this list becuz those are the top systems around town! So where do you think I will be in this list! The Fusions are the loudest in town now and then The 3rd and 1st system are about the same! Tell me what you think thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2815
Lol they're the top systems around town?:-) haha
Well, you would bump, I'd go with a better amp though, whats you're price range.

Silver Member

Paulding, Ohio USA

Post Number: 163
Ya we are a small town! The fusions hit 158dB tho! I would like to spend around 180ish for a amp off of ebay or anywhere you think would run these subs good!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4572
158db, sealed box, Cavalier? Nope, ain't happening. Your eardrums would be blown and your chest would feel like it was going to cave in if you were in a car hitting 158.

Silver Member

Paulding, Ohio USA

Post Number: 165
Well It did! Yup 3 sealed boxes! It was a comp! He placed 2nd! They put the meter on the front windshield more towards the passanger side! I was there!

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 913
Fusion makes some pretty good subs...i have heard a pair of power plant 12's. But i just dont see 3 of them doing 158dB w/ sealed boxes.

You sure it wasnt doing 148? That would be a very respectable score, and alot more reasonable one for 3 12's.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4583
With a meter from the early 90s (read: extremely inaccurate), done outlaw, and being a couple of feet underwater, it might happen. With a termlab, it isn't. If that were the case, DD fans would have swapped to these a LONG time ago.

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 811
what do you know about 2 12's hittin 152dbs at 44hz.:-) that's loud

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 812
and it was on a Termlab mic.:-)

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 915
muddy,

i have seen a single 15" do 157dB and an 18" do 161dB...in super-mod/extreme cars w/ bout 4000-5000wrms. yea...2 12's can do 150's on the TL, but i just dont see it happenin w/ sealed boxes.

It is very likely that something like 2 MT12's, DD9512's, DD9912's, or VFL's could do 152dB in something like a tahoe(SUV's like low notes). It would just take alot of time, know-how, and testing. I did 145 w/ my SX in a piece of crap untested box...but with time and testin, you can really do some insane stuff w/ car audio.

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 819
it wasn't in a sealed box, it was in a fiberglass, ported enclosure that took up all the space between the 2 seats and the hatch.(300zx)

and each speaker had a US Amps 2000x on it.(Treo SSX subs.) so there were two 12's with a total of 4,000wRMS going to them. he hit 152 dbs for about 3-1/2 hours before the dustcap came unglued, then he had it sent back and they replaced it for free.(it was still under warranty):-)

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 916
Oh yea, I over looked Treo subs, they are great too. 150dB+ at 45hz and below is just insane...lol.

Lots of higher-end companies have REALLY good warranties like that. If you dont burn the coils, they will usually repair or replace for free. Adire reconed my brahma 10" for free...after I tore the spider away from the basket doing 20hz tone bursts :-)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4592
"what do you know about 2 12's hittin 152dbs at 44hz.:-) that's loud"

You have to remember that I'm referring to Fusion Powerplants above, with a 12mm 1-way xmax, not too exceptional motor strength, a low Qts, which is not so good for sealed boxes since even an SPL inclined small sealed box doesn't get the response peak that a sub with a tighter suspension would. Add the fact that it only has 450W RMS power handling and a rather average resonant frequency, and put into a car that isn't exactly known for solid construction or sound deadening, and you really start to doubt some things.

And your scenario was with a duo of some of the best SPL subs out there, in ported boxes, a total 4,000W RMS, a hatchback car (MUCH better for SPL than a coupe or sedan with a trunk), and it still hit 6db less than the low excursion, low motor strength, sealed box subs in a less than optimal car above. Starting to see something wrong here? :-)

Ported/Bandpass boxes are ideal for SPL because they severely limit the subwoofers excursion at and slightly above tuning, while gaining efficiency. You can continue to pack more and more power upon the sub, gaining more and more SPL, while still not stressing the subs mechanical limitations. That's why you can put 5,000+ RMS on an SPL sub in a ported box and get enormous output. Do that to the same sub in a sealed box and the only SPL you'll get is when the cone flies off and hits the trunk lid.

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 820
i was just thinking of loud bass and that thought came to mind. lol

Silver Member

Paulding, Ohio USA

Post Number: 166
well he did it!! just about 2 weeks ago!!! He also has Dynomat layed all over in his car!

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 917
where was the comp?

what is his name?

what organization was the comp part of? (USACi, dB-Drag, etc?)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4594
I'm not saying the meter couldn't have read 158, but old meters, like the old termlabs and AC mics, can be as much as 11db off, possibly even more, and older mics are highly non-linear as SPL increases. Get an even cheaper meter and you'll get an enormous variance. It's also dependant upon altitude, humidity, mic location, and many other factors. Dynamat doesn't cut it when you're cracking close to 160db. 160db is getting into metal bracing, concrete, with lexan windows type of preparation.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4595
To put it in perspective, I've seen cars that did 155db on the Termlab sensor and then go and hit 167 on the old Audiocontrol mic. Quite a difference.

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 166
haha 158 with that setup? thats funny. was the mic in the port? I dont think you should even go with the kickers. get something better after you save up some more money because you should be havin the best system in town!

Silver Member

Paulding, Ohio USA

Post Number: 167
It was in Defiance Ohio.
his name is Tory Martinez and I dont konw the name of the comp! i will ask him tommrow!

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 926
http://www.termpro.com/asp/eventresults4.asp?Event_ID=7759

^^^look through those pics...is that the comp you are talking about?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us