Repairing tinsel leads: advice and ideas, PLEASE!!!

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 235
I've been dealing with the tinsel leads on my sub for a long time now. Months ago, the lead burnt and tore off. (If anyone knows what can be done to avoid that from ever happening again... I'll be very glad to know!) Anyway, I repaired it with a roach clip holding the lead together again, and it worked! I could hear the clip hitting the cone, though. Plus it only lasted maybe 2-4 songs before coming loose. Make a long story short: at one point I repaired it to crystaline quality like if nothing ever happened when I put flux on the lead wires, used soter to connect them again, and then used a glue called amazing goop to hold it there permanently. It lasted maybe 1 whole week (which is astronomical compared to 2-4 songs like before!!) BUT, it too tore near the soter on the side closest to the cone. What I need now, is suggestions for a permanent fix, maybe the name of the adhesives that sub manufacturers use, or an alternate method of repair. Whatever will do it! Problem is... the lead wire is down to maybe its last repair. It's very short. I have more tinsel lead to extend it, but the one connected to the cone... is very, very short now. Please help, you guys. Sending it back to the manufacturer isn't an option for me. I appreciate your guys' help. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 871
your amp is most likely clipping. I see it all the time with kids bringing their subs to me to see if they are fixable. Turn the gain on your amp down a bit. What kind of sub are you running?

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
It's a Power Acoustik
FUBR 10"

but how can I fix my tinsel leads permanently. it's my last chance to get it right (pretty much)

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9764
send it to a speaker repair shop if ya want it done right.
you can't use solder because the solder runs down the lead and makes it stiff.

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
Yeah, that's true... only problem is, I don't want to spend more on the repair than I did on the sub ($35 for item & $20 for shipping = $55)
Honestly, I really was hoping that you could advise me of the name or kind of adhesive used by the speaker places. It's just a matter of touching the leads together again. However, making it STAY that way is the dilema. GlassWolf, please help me out with this one. I appreciate your response thus far (by the way).
Anyone out there who knows of a way, please help!

Silver Member

Post Number: 248
Please, someone.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us