Jonathan/Glass.. My Brahmas Again

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 827
of course, one vc turned into a slinky, and the second sub went ahead and gave out. going to send them both back for reconing.
so, is it possible to set gains a bit more thoroughly (oscope) and run them for a considerable duration with 1600 watts to each?
or should i sell them and grab some 4ohm subs into which i would be running 800 watts/sub (instead of the dvc 2ohms)?
in case of the later, what driver would be most comparable to mine in 1ft^3? still competing sq and would like to maintain the accuracy and low end of the adires.
including the RL-P, ID MAX, and XXX. your expert opinions re: the differences between them
are much valued (as always).

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4563
If you want to beat the snot out of the sub, I'd recommend the XXX over the Brahma, more durable sub, sounds excellent, works well in a small enclosure. 1600W on a Brahma in a 1 cu ft sealed is too much power if you use it to it's full potential, you'll only need around 800W to get a Brahma moving to full excursion.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 828
the amp is 1600 4ohm/800 2ohm. which were you referring to in the case of the xxx?
i know the RL-P's are best with 800 watts. your take on them in the same regard?

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man

Post Number: 268
SI would like to know the same thing.

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man

Post Number: 269
I would like to know the same thing.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 830
so i'm at the conclusion that i would be giving the xxx 1600/sub (only 2ohm available). 800 would be inadequate for xmax anyway.

A) would this amount of power be optimal for the xxx, as it seems to be more of a mechanical limit than purely thermal as the brahmas are known to be.

B) which sub would be best acclamated to the 1ft^3 enclosure?

C) would there be a significant advantage over the Rl-p's? i'm taking price slightly into consideration. but my competing should also be taken into account.
thanks

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4576
"A) would this amount of power be optimal for the xxx, as it seems to be more of a mechanical limit than purely thermal as the brahmas are known to be."

Enclosure dependant, but in nearly any application it's going to want/need at least 1000W RMS if you want to extract it's performance potential. 1600 is fine.

"B) which sub would be best acclamated to the 1ft^3 enclosure?"

1 cu ft is a tad small for an ID Max, the RL-P is VERY acclamated to a ported box or a small sealed box, the XXX would be the best performer out of those.

"C) would there be a significant advantage over the Rl-p's? i'm taking price slightly into consideration. but my competing should also be taken into account.
thanks"

Sealed, yes, a pretty big advantage. The RL-P isn't the best sealed box woofer.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 831
thanks jonathan. although i think the rlp's sound pretty decent in a sealed box, i'll take your word that the xxx sounds that much better.
now i just have to get glass to sell me his when he gets his new xxx.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4579
It's not that the RL-Ps won't sound good sealed, it's that they won't work as well as an XXX would in a 1 cu ft sealed box.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 832
sweet. that's the input i was hoping for. would have been a shame to have gone through all the changes to support 1600 watts/sub and only utilize half that. also, i can maintain a similar bl curve w/the xbl2.
i guess your reply favored my expectation. but now i just have to work on finding the old xxx for a decent price.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us