Had my amp tuned, i think guy was an idiot.. help me out please

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 827
okay i went and had my 1000/1 tuned for my avalanche today... and i also put polyfil in it. okay well the polyfil was great it drops lower and sounds better now... but the amp tuning im not so sure about... i was trying to watch what the guy was doing but he was too big to see around... i notified him that the HU preouts are 8V and put in a throw it up and he started to tune... after a lil while we're like "sniff sniff" i smell voice coil. and hes like how long have u had it. im like about 10 days and i run it everyday for over an hour. hes like well i think u shud keep it down a little for about another half a week or so.... the good new is i really dont think its blown i think it was just finishing breaking in and the VC were heating up alot though. but not blown.... he turned the bass boost off and i set my HU sub level to 10/15 ... im driving home and i turn up my volume to like 55 out of 80... im like holy hell thats loud... how can that be? and to keep it safe i turned down the HU sub level to 6/15 ... its still quite loud and i dont turn it up past 55... i will in like 3 days... so i get home and im like let me look at all the settings... he has the input voltage switch on low... wudnt u think an 8V preout should be on high? he even said he didnt turn the amp up all the way it still has more to go... if the input voltage is on low and i have 8V preouts then i must be stressing the amp. right? if the professionals cant do it idk what to do about tuning my amp...

or am i totally wrong? lol... i just dont see how the switch could be on low... the highest voltage on low is 2V and the highest voltage on high is 8V ... i think i shud put it on high at 8V and then turn it down just a tad to push it a little. does that sound good?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3545
Not sure about your 1000/1, but if your headunit's pre amp voltage is 8 volts, then your gain should be turned almost all the way to the left. The gain's simply change input sensitivity. If you have a strong input voltage, then your amp doesn't have to be as sensitive. If you have like 2 or 1.5 volt pre amps, then your gain is probably gonna be more like half way, or 3/4 to the right. Since the input voltage is weak, the amp has to be much more sensitive. If your gain is turned down, or to the left, it's set right. With 8 volt pre-outs, if he did have the gains turned far to the right then you should be hearing a LOT of distortion.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3546
BTW, Avalanche's are known to smell for the first little while. Don't worry about it, it's just the excess glue melting off the vc's.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 832
thanks joe, yeah thats what i thoguht about the smell but yeah i understand about the input sensitivity and input voltage... im just saying... he has it so high (low in voltage) that it must be pushign the amp harder(too sensitive)... but there isnt a bunch of distortion... its just very loud... ive heard systems where it was hard to breathe in... but i dont know how many decibles it was hitting so i dont have a reference to how loud it was. but damn, the ava was quite loud... ear hurting loud but not hard to breathe loud yet... when i get the ported box tuned to 26 hz possibly hard to breathe.... but after the 2nd avalanche i get if i can find one... it shud be hard to breathe... i just dont want to hurt the sub or the amp...
..but odly enough there wasnt distortion... i think that might be why he kept turning the gain up...

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4143
Trevor, the JL slash series have input voltage switch, low and high. As you know, low is for up to 2v, and high, up to 8v. If you're saying the installer had it at low, then that is a big mistake. You will force the amp into protection when the volume gets raised. Not only that, it'll clip and burn out your sub.
Since you didn't install it, you can either use it as is till it burns out, or have the guy explain why the switch is set to low.
JL is a great amp, but it will burn out, guaranteed.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 833
yes issac i am fully aware.i had said that in previous posts. im going to change it to about 6V and i;ll go back to the guy and tell himn another day because its not too close to m house and my mom wont let me drive my car right now because of the hurricane.

Silver Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 448
Don't mean to jack your thread but On my Ava when I push in on the woofer there is a slight scratching and grinding sound coming from it. But when it plays it sounds great. What might the problem be and how can I fix.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 844
hmm that usually isnt a good sign at all...
usually when u hear scratching or grinding when u push in on ur woofer it means its blown... what amp and enclosure have u been using?

when i push in on mine its dead silent...

hopefully some1 with more experence can help u out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 451
But I don't understand it plays fine. Or maybe its just the beggining of the end. The gain is basically all the way down and its runnin on 1000 rms. Ill have to call ascendant tommorow and see. If it is blown I will make sure to completely put it out of its misery before I send it back to ascendant. But of course im going to tell them it was only ran with 600rms. Oh and right now its in a 2.95cf tuned to 34htz

Silver Member
Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 139
why would his amp burn out from having it flipped to 2v? my Amp only has a 2V gain, and I have an eclipse HU. I just set the HU for 60/80 volume and adjusted the gain on the amp accordingly, it is almost all the way turned down to 2V, but It works and I was able to set it. Why woudl this automaticaly burn out the amp?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3547
You can make perfectly good subs scrath when you push on them. If you push off center, it'll rub on one side. Here's what I'd say, stop fricken pushing in on your sub. If it plays fine, don't worry about it, you'll know when it's blown.

Trevor, my Avalanche is in a 2.5 cf sealed box with 800wrms. I really wouldn't recommend using a box any bigger, sealed, than I have, because you'd almost have too much lows, and it wouldn't really sound very good. I knew I was giving up some db's when I went sealed rather than ported, and using a larger box rather than a 2 cf sealed box. I could care less what db's I hit though, I did it for the distortion free bone rattling 20 - 40 hz bass. Even with my setup, when I crank it hard, which almost never happens, yes my ears hurt, and my body shake from the inside out. You'd have to be an idiot to sit in it for more than a few seconds. I have had people get out after a few seconds of about a 30 hz test tone. It just hurts too much. I have no idea why anybody would want a daily driver system any louder though. I bought the sub for the low bass response, now how loud it can get, and I barely ever have it at even the slightest uncomfortable listening levels.

So to sum things up, if you put it in a 4 cf ported box, tuned to about 26 hz and pushed with a jl 1000/1, yes, it will be hard to breathe. Just be careful, it doesn't take much to damage your hearing.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 846
thanks joe that puts a smile on my face lol...
and my box is 2.165 cuft net. it used to be 2.48 but i added bracing. and today i added polyfil ... do u have your box filled with polyfil? if not i really reccomend it. even to just try it u can always take it out. IMO i like what it does to the sound a lot. next week when im 100% sure the sub is broken in i;ll let u know how loud my enclosure gets. ... then i'll build the ported box. but u never know i might like the sealed better...

did u know that partially why ported boxes are louder is because the air in the port moves back and forth stably and acts as a cone to produce soundwaves which is as if u had more surface area. i learned that today on DD's site. u prolly already knew that though lol. i learned a lot on that site. i finally understand seans interchangable port ideas now.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3471
Im glad you found a box you like for your avalanch Trevor and let us know what you meter db wise with that beast. iterchangable ports and im working on a design for an adjustable airspace box that is air tight as well to go along with the interchangable ports

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 909
sean,

adjustable airspace = sandbags :-) (people do it in comps all the time)

the interchangable port idea is a great one...i have been using them for about 1.5 years. My current box has 2 ports, one tunes it to ~32hz w/ ~4.5 cuft net airspace and 50sq inches of port...the other tunes to 46hz w/ 5.7 cu ft and 90sq inches of port.

Silver Member

Post Number: 452
Well my Ava blew up today and at the wrong time as I had two comps to do in the next two weeks. Oh well I hope Ascendant fixes it quickly.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2130
Oso what amp are you using and what is your gains set at and what HU do you have ? Whats your crossovers set to ? Slope , freq .etc...

Silver Member

Post Number: 453
Amp was a Interfire IFc1000D gain was all the way down. Shouldn't have blown. But this really sucks my nutts.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3472
cool tip marshall with the sandbags better than my idea was
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us