Solobaric L7 or Sony Xplod?

Username: Marvintl22

Post Number: 1
which one is better? i have a sony xplod 12inch in a ported box and i have a solobaric coming on the way from ubid, i bought it only for 140$ which is pretty cheap. Should i take out my xplod and cut the box into a square shape to fit the solobaric? or just leave it? or put the solobaric next to the sony? heh

oh yeah, what does SQ and spl mean?

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 769
i wouldn't recommend either of those brands, but it is NOT a good idea to mix subs in a box. they will play the same fequency slightly different which will make the bass sound awful. and one might be louder than the other one which would sound like crap.

if it was up to me and i HAD to choose one or the other, i would keep the sony, b/c the kicker will get very loud, but it won't sound as good(which isn't that good) as the sony.

Post Number: 2
so ure saying sony is better than solobarics?
i wanna utilize the solobrics becuase i got them for so cheap, but im worried that the bass might be too loud.. i only have seperates in the front im wondering if that will be enough? and also i have an fake 1200w alpine amp, bought it for 60 bucks..
im setting up my sounds based on my budget as a student.. ><

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 771
the solobaric will get WAY louder than the sony, but my problem with solobarics is they dont sound good while they are getting loud. the sony won't get nearly as loud, but it will have some sound quality. if you want loud go with the solo.
if you want not as loud with some SQ go with the sony.

Post Number: 3
yeah, i wish i had stumbled on this forums before i had bought the solobarics... but they are a bargain arent they? 12" L7 solos for 140 bucks shipped.

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 772
that's a good deal, but in the car audio business, 9 times out of 10, you get what you pay for.:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Homegrowncam

Watauga, TX United States

Post Number: 44
Sony is trash!The best thing you can do is just throw it out.In my opinion I would go with the solo.But definetely don't use both of them, thats ghetto.Kicker isn't the best but it is SO much better then Sony.BTW are you planning on running the same amp that ran the Sony on the Kicker?

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 594
go with the solo baric...seal it...don't port it...that will give you some sq on the solo baric.

Post Number: 4
yeah im gonna use the same cheap freakin amp... but i think im gonna underpower it and im gonna need to buy a new amp.. can u guys suggest a good cheap one that can drive my solo?

why seal it? i have a box that was meant for two subs? isnt that size good enough for it not to be sealed?

Silver Member
Username: Letto

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 195
The sealed box will give you better SQ (sound quality) for the solobaric. But you'll want to look at the specs for what size a sealed box should be for it.

And Kicker is better than Sony, no matter which Kicker it is. The square solo might have been the worst idea that kicker ever came up with, but it's still better than a sony.

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1335
the solobarics may have been a bad idea but they are making kicker bank. They sell like hotcakes around here. For every 3 kids with like rockfords 4 of there friends have solobarics.

At one point i too had 2 12" L5s. Needless to say i've moved onto bigger and better things :-)

<3 Hcca <3

robert r d r d
Unregistered guest
the L7 is 1000 rms so get a 1000 rms amp such as a hifonics brutus 1000 rms at 1 ohm which would be cheapest or u can get a cheap amp with 1000 rms but they mostly burn out in a little while
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us