More then avg comparison... appreciate experienced help.

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 806
okay id like to hear your input on what you would do WITH MY GOALS. if youd like to give me input on what u like please dot hat after, it is welcomed.

first off lets establish my goals... i want an SQL system. i want to put sub level on low for normal daily driving and have capabilities to get VERY loud. like hard to breathe loud and hard. another goal is to reach these high decibles at a low frequency. aka to shake your insides even more and hurt your ears. id also like ti to be cost and power efficient.

my ideas and what i have now....

currently i have a 15 avalanche and a 1000/1... i am giong to make a ported box tuned to 26 hz. i feel i will really like this SQL combination. i also want to get another avalanche and put it in the same box. so i want to give them about 500w rms.. which should be 6db louder than my one in a sealed box now.
however, i feel i may now be COMPLETELY satisfied.

my ideas are maybe to get a US amps 2000w rms amp and either 3 12 inch SX subs or 4 12 inch SE subs. what i dont liek about the 3 SXs is that it will produce a weird ohm load. but i feel it would be louder... maybe not though. orrrrr should i just get like 3 15 inch SEs and run them on my 1000/1... with the right enclosure they could be very loud.

the one thing i like about the avalanche thogh is the Fs of 15.7 ... no other woofer i knwo of touches it.

all ideas and things are welcome.... thank you

oh and i wud be getting a 235A alt if i got a us2000 and i could get it for about 980 i think.

also getting another 1000/1 would be another option but they are quite expensive..

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3521
If it were me, I'd just get another Avalanche, if you can find one, and run 500 wrms to each. Avy's are pretty effecient, they'll run perfect with 500 wrms in a large ported box. You should notice a good difference in spl going from one sealed to two ported. I've heard Avy's really belch the bass when ported, but just remember it's gonna be pretty low, so I hope you cut them off low, and have some good components that can pick up lower than usual.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2112
Trevor / Just stick to 1 Avalanche 15 and go ported at about 4cuft or more tuned to 26-28hz and set your subsonic filter on your 1000/1 to like 17-18hz and set your gains accordingly and you will get the SPL you are looking for. Dont use the bass boost option as this can distort the sound and just use the sub level fader control to your desired taste.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 812
well tht doesnt make sense mo... because if i leave bass boost on zero and set the gains properly it sound like im pushing an 8 with 25 watts lol... ever sinse i reduced the gains and turned up the bass boost its been sounding so much better. and keeping its SQ at higher volumes MUCH better. and im sorry but u are also wrong saying 1 15 avalanche ported will satisfy me... 150db would satify me but i knwo i wont hit that... i guess the solution is 2 avalanche 15s with 500w each tuned to 26 hz... 4cuft net. i hope to be between 146-148.... knwoing that james longo hit 143.7 sealed... 2 woofers and ported should give me 6db. a 149.7 ... im going to be conservative and hope for 146-148...

and joe smoe... i have JL VR components and a 300/4... i plan to some day get a 450/4 and run either XR series or maybe chameleons or diamond audio. and also get kicker ss series midbass drivers.

anybody knwo who to get a 15 avalanche from?

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2113
Trevor its not as simple as that. James had the tuning and the install and box right along with a very nice orion hcca amp and his ride being a SUV helped. I know you have a Escalade or whatever so we will see. I have mine at 2.2 cuft sealed and i will have it metered by friday and let you know.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 813
i forgot one of my goals to list... its to teach all the ignorant kids at my school that you dont need 3000w of power and 6 15s to have a loud system. and even better yet is mine will sound so much better. but i would like to show them what 2000w and a certain number of 12s or 15s could do soemday 8) ... if i win a bunch of money i;ll run 4 12 inch SXs with 2 1000/1s lol

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2114
By the way Trevor / If you really wanted that type of SPL you should have went with a RE SX 15 with a 4.?? cuft box tuned to 30hz and have the sub facing up and the port toward the rear of your suv and push it with that jl 1000/1 amp and get your vision blurred along with your escalade flexing. It whould be louder then the Avalanche 15 as i noticed the Avalanche 15 is mostly designed for SQ 60/ SPL/40 / If you intend on sticking with the Avalanche 15 which i think you do / try and find another one and go ported and tune them to like 26hz with the proper size box. GOODLUCK

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 815
i know james had everythign done right thats why i said i dont expect a 149.7 ... but the thing i dont like about the SX is it doenst have as much SQ... and it is possible to have a SQL system hitting 150 or even higher...
and about the sub facing up and the port facing the back.... what exactly is that doing... should i do it with the avalanches?

and yes id be very interested to see ur results of ur metering.

sorry if i appear as some1 who is stubborn and just wants the loudest i can get regardless of price, space, equipment or anythign... i just really got into car audio and i like experimenting on what makes things the loudest and still sounding good...

and just because i drive an escalade just means my dad did well finacially in life... i dont get spoiled witht things all the time... i pay for some of my insurance which is $3000 for my age and vehicle. i am fortunate enough to have my dads business pay for the gas and i do work for my dad, and thats how i pay for things i do to my car. because 1 my dad wudnt buy me it if he was interested( my parents even make me pay for my food sometimes) but he also thinks aftermarket things and things like park assist and luxuries are rediculous.... it makes it difficult trying to tlak him into buying the 06 c6 z06 lol.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 816
By the way Trevor / If you really wanted that type of SPL you should have went with a RE SX 15 with a 4.?? cuft box tuned to 30hz and have the sub facing up and the port toward the rear of your suv and push it with that jl 1000/1

im new to car audio as in this is my first system... i dont have a lot of hands on experience... ive just done a lot of research....

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2115
Its all good Trevor/ I am the same way as in i wanna be get the loudest system and maintain good SQ. I think majority of us want the same.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3907
Hey Trevor did you build your box? if so is it your first? I am not saying anything about your carpentry skills but I have seen a few people make their first boxes and they were rediculiously bad. It appears that you have the cash to have a pro build you a box so thats the route I would go. Again not bad talking your skills but I see that you went all out on the sub, and amp so why not splurge a little and have a nice nice box built. I have run many many sub set ups and I find that the avalanche is a very nice SQL driver with absolutly amazing ability down below 45hz. If I were to throw this sub in ported I would do 6cu/ft tuned to 20hz but thats me. With that amount of power you should be slamming the SH!T out of that sub. When I turn on something with a good bass line say Late night tip for instance my roof flexes a good 2in up and down. If I throw a quarter on it it bounces completly across my roof and off the side, and I am running less power then you. If you arnt happy with this it leads me to believe something is not properly hooked up or the box has a leak or is flexing. Remember your system is 80% install 20% components. Good luck with it man and as far as going 2 ava's I hope you have a good HMO that will give you a good hearing aid cause I couldnt even imagine what that would be like........seriously.

Username: Astrosafari

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 7
mtx 22

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 822
no this box was built very sturdy i promise... if i can downsize images i would show u pictures... everything was done correctly, i put screws like every 2.5 inches and loaded it with PL400 glue which is very good glue. it is perfectly sealed no doubt. and i dont have money to get a profesional box. after my parents take money out of my paycheck i get a wopping 40 dollars a week. i think i will bring it to a shop and try to pay them to tune my stuff though. thats something i dont have enough experience in.....also i may have it metered.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3910
yeah man that is a good idea to have them tune it up for you. Good luck man!

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 823
i think i also know why ur roof flexes 2 inches and mine flexes like 1-2 mm lol... if u ever have the chance to check out an escalade roof... its very stiff and isnt flat metal on top. it has a rack and bars going down it so it doesnt get scratched as well... i think itd take an MT with 2000w rms to get it flexing a lot. lol

and tomorrow im giong to add crossbars inside the box to reduce it to like 2.1 cuft net so that it''ll handle slightly more power.

and about ur suggestion of 6cuft ported box... u meant gross right? ... i actually have a couple more question but i;ll ask them later im in the middle of taking a college course online...

thanks for ur responses btw

Bronze Member
Username: Drpthemc

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 86
Hey Trevor, and others that have an JL AUDIO 1000/1, maybe u can help me with this... i hooked up my subs amps bla bla... and when i turn up my volume and play it for about 2 minutes the amp cuts off... so i went to the back and i looked to see wth was going on and the -low ohm-, and -low volts-... what does that mean??... everything is hooked up and double checked...help me plz!...

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 824
turn ur system off for now!! your running too low of a ohm load and ur gains are up way to high... ... for one you need to rwire it so you get a higher ohm load. next u need to learn how to set ur gains. on the 1000/1 there is a high and low switch to ur input sensitivity(which is the gain) the low goes from 200mv to 2V and the high goes from 800mv to 8V ... find out what ur head units preout voltage is and set it accordingly... if u have 2 12s and they are dual 2 ohm ur probably wired in parallel and runnign a .5 ohm load... 1000/1s realize this and run in a safe mode so u dont burn it up... if this was a different amp uda prolly pushed like 2000watts and burnt up ur amp and ur VCs .... so make sure u wire ur subs to get a 2 ohm final load and set the gains right... to find out how to wire go to www.rockfordfosgate.com then support, then wiring wizard.. select 2 woofers and dual 2 ohm... use the one that says final ohm load 2ohms. /// read the manual to the 1000/1 ... it will teach u about what to do witht he knobs and how to set the input sensitivity.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 825
actually what i said about the gains too high could be wrong but check that,.... i just jumped to conclusion when i heard volts i thoguht about preout volts... u might not be giving the amp enough voltage power to run... check that out... i am very tired to i guessed gains at first my bad

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 87
hehe... hmm... okok... this is how i wired it... you know on the 1000/1 they have 2 + and 2 - holes to put ur wires in... i put the wires in each of the holes.. ex. 1 goes in the + and the other goes in + and so on... i guess thats wrong... hah... and gains... i dont think i turned it up cuz i dont have a new alt yet.. and maybe that is why it says not enough voltage?...

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 88
oh yea trevor... i have stock headunit =(... cuz lexus makes some weird as$' designs for there cars and its like impossible to get a headunit... unless i wanna spend hella cash for it... but yea back to wat i was saying... stock headunit.. meaning i dont know what the preout voltage is...=\... maybe u know? lol thanks~

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 826
i have to go to work so i;ll try to help ya out when i get back

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 828
okay if u have 2 12 inch avalanches that are dual 2 ohm and a 1000/1 you need to wire them like the picture i';ll draw below....

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 829
Upload

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 831
notice how i only used to 2 outside terminals... one positive and one negative... im guessing u used all of them ? they are wired in parallel inside the amp so if u did that u would wire them to a .5 ohm load... thats why u got the low impedence led on ur amp.

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 90
ah okok gotcha... hmmm what about the low voltage indicator light?... it turns on when i turn the volume up...=\ is that because of stock alternator?... bad battery?...

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 91
hmm i read your other post... and i was thinking to myself... maybe it says low v. because its set on the low v. and not the high v switch maybe?...

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 834
possible but not likely... if its a stock headunit i doubt it has a high preamp output. do ur lights dim at all?

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 835
also, what gauge wiring are u using for ground and power... and do u have a good secure ground?

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 92
hmm... lol heck yea my lights dim... dont worry i dont play it loud at all b/c of it... well i just played with the low and high volt switch... and i put it on low and i notice that it gets louder then when i put it on the high side... is that right? if not, then what am i doing wrong?... at first i was using 4 gauge wiring, but then i put in a distribution block in, and now i have to use 8 guage =\... ground= 4 gauge... good secure ground? i think so?... ill take a pic of my system and stuff later so you can see whats up...anyways do u think i can go to local audio shop and order a h/o alt?... if not where can i get it locally cuz i e-mailed exessiveamperage.com and that nathan guy said he doesnt have my car alt or something like that... but yea thats if for now thanks trevor for your help and answering my Q's hehe PCE

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 837
an 1000/1 requires a 4ga ground a power so that might be one of your problems... and yes u need to go through w/e it takes to get a new alternator... and possibly a battery too.. i have a 130A alternator and a batcap800 and my lights no longer dim. .

and yes when u put the switch on low the volume should get louder. because how u mess with it though. it should be set accordingly... try to get a voltmeter and measure ur preout voltage.

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 93
hMmmmm I SEEE... hey u got AOL instant Messenger or anything?... well okok... i shall go look in a few days for a new alt... btw where did u get urz at?... danget man this is some hard stuff

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 850
bucssbchamps007 is AIM

my alt is stock.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us