Breaking news about the avalanche and 1000/1..also a Q

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 804
lol i just wanted to make the title of the thread interesting but...

okay i turned the gains (well the input sensitivity on JL amps) down ALL the way. i turned the bass boost up to 13db out of 15... and sub level on my HU to 10 out of 15.... i put on multiple songs and sounded great. i put on freek a leek which bottomed out my sub before but now it sounds great and quite loud... i also turned the HU up to 14 out of 15 and it still didnt bottom out and was pretty dman loud.

my questions... does the bass boost actually tell the amp to put out more power when turned up or is it just a tuning? question 2: can i put the bass boost on 15db at all times and just adjust the sublevel on my HU?

however... i am still going to build a ported to probably 4cuft net tuned to 26hz... i think this will find my happy medium between SPL and SQ... but also not enough decibles for me lol... i plan to get another avalanche and run 500w each in ported boxes and gain another 3db.

somewhere in my mind is also the idea of getting maybe 3 12 inch RE SX or 4 12 in RE SEs.... and new amps...

i want it to be hard to breathe when the volume is up high... and turn it down to sound like my 1 avalanche when im just listening to good sounding music....

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3519
You should set the gains correctly, use a dmm if you have one.

Bronze Member
Username: Drpthemc

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 84
hmm interesting... man i need a new box! arg... can u help me with one treavor! hehe... 2 ava 12s!!! :-) ported weee

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4107
Trevor, by setting the gain to minimum and boosting other controls, you're basically offsetting one with the other. It has the similar effect as, setting the controls properly and then lowering the gain/level on the amp.
I would recommend you do things properly. Match the gain on the amp with the HU. I think all the instruction you need actually comes with JL 1000/1's manual.
Use the bass boost carefully. By boosting too much, you are actually changing the behaviour of the gain/level control.

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 820
i have the gains set correctly... i didnt do it by turning it up until clipping at 3/4 volume... instead i put the gain at 8V which is my HU output, its more accurate that way.

and they dont have the same effect because when i had the gain up some and boost down i bottomed out the sub... now i have gain low and boost up more and the sub does not botom out and sounds cleaner and even louder at high volume.

ray. if you give me the specs to the sub like qts and Fs and vas. and im assuming the xmax is 27mm... if not let me know. also how wide and tall can the box be. i;ll run it through tests and find out what the reccomended is and i can just suggest one too.

if u want to do it yourself then u can go to
http://www.accelerator-pedal.com/ported-box.asp
or
http://www.accelerator-pedal.com/l-ported-box.htm

hope that helps

Bronze Member
Username: Drpthemc

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 85
oki doki trevor... ill shall find out by tonight... thanks man!... :-)...ppl on ecoustics are freaking COOL hah
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us