Capacitor for amp??

Username: Ray19_82

Post Number: 2
I have a 900w x 2 amp and a 2000w sub, I know that I will need a capacitor But which one should I go for? and Can I run this from my stock battery?. (Not likly) so What car battery would I need?

Regards
RAY

Clownass
Unregistered guest
900w x 2....really. Is that 900 watts of true power x 2? Who makes that amp? If such an amp exists, I would like to see it.

As for your question about capacitors, don't even bother. Just go for a HO alternator, wiring upgrades and maybe a Kinetic battery (2000 or 2400).

Unless you have an adaquate charging system the cap will do you only harm, no good. So, fix up the charging/electrical system, then see how your system performs.

Caps are nice, but ONLY if you understand exactly what they are for.

Post Number: 3
(Sorry typo) It is a kicker amp (sx900x2)
450w x 2
900w x 1
www.kicker.com

where can I buy HO alternator? and I was thinking of having just an individual performance car battery just for the amp, will this work?

Clownass
Unregistered guest
I bought mine from a place called J and S Alternator. It cost me 150 dollars and the installation required no modification...other than the wiring upgades of course. Many people on this site talk about excessiveamperage.com and a guy named Nate, a guy that runs the shop. I have no experiance with them nor do I know much of anything about them. But, they seem to be helping several people on this forum.

"and I was thinking of having just an individual performance car battery just for the amp, will this work?"

Do you mean install a second battery that powers the amp and nothing else? That will work, but if you don't plan on listening to your stereo for long periods of time with the vehicle shut off it would be a waste...you would also have to isolate the secondary battery some how via an isolator or a continuous duty solenoid. My advice to you, again, get a HO alternator and a Kinetik battery. If you get a HO alternator be sure to upgrade the battery negative to chassis connection, the engine block to chassis connection and the alternator to battery positive connection. If you do all that and get the Kinetik battery you WILL be pleased.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9739

http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/newmain/battcapalt/

worth reading

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 260
If all what is said on that link is true - then its the best explanation i ever heard . No fancy rocket scientist terminology but straight forward english .

We should all bookmark that page & post it 2 ppl everyday who ask those questions ....

HIFIGUY
Unregistered guest
That link that GlassWolf posted seems to contradict things that he has said in the past. Such as capacitors are a over-marketed sales gimmick and that they are a waste and that a HO alternator is a better addition to a system than a cap. The link puts adding a cap as a higher priority than adding an alternator and it says that a cap does alot of good.

Now I am confused.

Anonymous

Me too^^

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 262
Check out what they say on http://www.bcae1.com/ no. 46

Silver Member
Username: Bananakrill

Vallejo, California

Post Number: 189
www.alterstart.com is run by a bunch of jerks and ripoff artists... by the way.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9752
not really any contradictions. caps are marketed as a fix for lack of current from an alternator and Geolemon states just as I did that this isn't the case.
he and I also both comment on a cap working as a filtering device as well as a smoothing component. he just goes into more detail and diagrams the discharge rates.

the only real difference in our views is that I think the alternator should always have reserve current instead of running it to it's limits and letting the batteries act to stabilize the voltage at 12VDC. He feels that's perfectly ok. In my opinion this is pretty much what fries alternators when people continually run high current systems that tap out the alternator and then start relying on batteries to sustain the voltage and current demands. I moderately rare, ocasional dip into the battery for stabilizing is fine.. but when it becomes a commonality, you get problems.
the battery can't recharge in time, and youget damage.

Geolemon has written some very good articles, including that one and one on absolute phasing.
I've spoken with him a number of timese. He's a good guy.

Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 3
you could probably just go with an optima yellow top battery upgrade it should do well for a 900 rms amp

fwww
Unregistered guest
www.alterstart.com is run by a bunch of jerks and ripoff artists... by the way.

???????????????????????????????????????

true???

Post Number: 4
which optima yellow top battery should I go for?
D34 D35? or any other model?

Regards,
Ray

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10346
www.optimabatteries.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help