Word of the week: "Qts"

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9714
Qts is one of the Thiele-Small parameters of a loudspeaker. The Qts of a speaker is the driver's Q at resonance (Fs), due to all losses. The Q is the speaker's relative damping ability, or a measure of the driver's tendancy to resonate at it's Fs (resonant frequency.)

The Qts of a subwoofer determines the type of box the speaker is best suited for.
Qts < 0.30 - ported
Qts = 0.30 - 0.50, use ported or sealed.
Qts > 0.50 sealed

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 135
GlassWolf,

How much of a difference in Qts is there between 0.50 and 0.51? Would that 0.01 difference mean I would definitely need to use a sealed enclosure?

I purchased my subs based on SQ reviews, but I still want plenty of bass. I was planning on a vented enclosure until you sent me these numbers. Should I just forget about the ported box?

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 203
Great job with 'word of the wk' but with so many audio terminolgy words , it'll take you about 2yrs to get through it all - lol

How's about 2/3 words per wk instead , nice work & advice as always - keep it up .

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4517
That little bit of difference isn't critical.

Q factors: Used to describe the driver's damping (lossiness), and is derived from the sustain time, which is the ratio of stored energy to dissipated energy. Basically, how long the cone will flutter at the resonant frequency. High Q numbers mean an underdamped driver and low Q numbers mean an overdamped driver. You can consider Q factors as the tendency to resonate at Fs.

Qms: The mechanical Q of the driver. It gives you an idea of the suspensions damping characteristics, in relation the driver's moving mass, suspension compliance, and suspension loss (damping). High Qms indicates a heavy assembly (cone, voice coil, etc) and/or a loose suspension. Opposite for a low Qms.

Qes: Electrical Q of the driver, defines how strong the motor is and how well the motor can push against its suspension and its mass. A low Qes means either the driver has a low moving mass, a really high motor force factor, or a really loose suspension. A high Qes driver indicates the opposite.

Qts: Overall Q, determined from Qms and Qes combined. It is the ratio of stored-to-dissipated energy for the entire driver, and tends to be dominated by Qes. A low Qts means a light moving mass, loose suspension, or strong motor. High Qts means a weak motor, a high moving mass, or a tight suspension. This is very important in enclosure consideration.

Try plotting your sub in WinISD to look at enclosure considerations.

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 800
jonathan... cud u look at my thread like "eperienced help for my avalanche please" or somethign like that.... id greatly appreciate it i;ll check it tomorrow.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 801
or glass or tohers who have been around car audio alot...

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9729
one word of the week is enough to keep up with. heh
the whole point of only doing one a week is to give me enough material to last for a while.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 841
i thoguht the higher qts meant use ported... because dont L7s work better in ported and they have a qts of .666

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 842
nvm... actually im not even sure if that qts is correct it came off of crutchfield...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4543
High Qts subs are used ported only for strict SPL use. They typically have a very tight suspension, which provides a high resonant frequency and produces a very high, peaky response at and around tuning, good for SPL, bad for SQ. The descriptions above are relating to a true SQ application, where you would be getting the best results in overall damping, frequency response, and performance.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 843
thanks jonathan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us