Cast your votes: Best Motor Techology

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 216
For whatever reason... efficiency, cost, whatever... please vote to indicate YOUR CHOICE for BEST MOTOR TECHOLOGY. Your expertise, knowledge, first hand experience, and opinions are greatly valued and appreciated. First hand experience is, without a doubt, the most accurate vote - however all input is welcome. An explanation for your vote is not required, but encouraged.

We thank you very much for participating.
Voting results will be revealed within 1 week.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Ky

Post Number: 4789
I really like TC motors

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4514
Between XBL^2, Scanspeak SD-1, SEAS Excel motor designs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 230
looks like only subfanatic and jonathan have opinions on this one...
come on, guys. all opinions count!
(thanks, subfanatic and jonathan - by the way)

Silver Member

Post Number: 238
Oh come on, you guys. I know there's ALOT of you out there that know exactly what's being talked about here. All I ask is:
If you read this... please don't leave without voting. Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
Oh come on, you guys. I know there's ALOT of you out there that know exactly what's being talked about here. All I ask is:

Silver Member

Post Number: 240

Username: Silent_one98

AldergroveCanada

Post Number: 5
i think infinity has some pretty good motor technology

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 328
http://www.aurasound.com/

Aurasound has alot of research and development in motor technology. They also have plenty of clock hours developing the double and tripple spider suspension.

Basicly their subwoofers have a neo-magnet, which is many times stronger than conventional magnets/per size. So a much smaller magnet i srequired for the same power and sometimes even more.

The Voicel coil is under hung. Basicly the voiuce coil is completely saturated in the magnet at all times, including Xmax. Most speakers are only saturated in the magnet 10-30% of the voice coil travel. This design produces much cleaner and controlled response.

The double and tripple spider is an added feature to strengthen the suspension and alignment of the voice coil.

The basket has superior design for strength and low loss.

The Xmax on some sub models are 2-2.5".

The Bl and Qms are high, and Qes is low. This means these subs will POUND with accuracy. The Vas is also low, which means they are optimal in small enclosures.

Need I say more?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4599
"True, the underhung approach is a very wasteful, and expensive way to do things - but, the benefits, I feel, outweigh the disadvantages. Steve likes underhung motors the best. ;) You should check out my ressurected Aura neo motor, Dan. Drop me a line, and I'll send over some stuff."

Ceasefire

"Send it over, include a few drawings! I'll up the BL, lower the inductance, and increase and flatten the BL curve for you as well...;)"

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

taken from http://forum.soundillusions.net/archive/index.php/t-34191.html

:-)

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 329
I disagree

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 833
i recall when the aurasounds were in the prototype stages. i don't believe that was the name back then though. the promotor at a soundoff in stonemountain was raving about how the motor was going to revolutionize the industry (ended up being neodymium). he was attempting to get investors (i was in highschool?)
i guess if the cost comes down that might actually happen.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4600
Just pickin, I'm a fan of underhungs too :-). It's pretty obvious that they're the most flux-inefficient motor topology out there, when you have all your BL integrated over a larger gap, and a shorter voice coil, you just can't efficiently use BL because you're never using all of it. It leaves you having to use either a very strong motor or a thickly wound voice coil, both increasing manufacturing cost. If you add voice coil windings, you eliminate two of the benefits of underhung, which is low moving mass and low inductance. You could add a copper sleeve to the polepiece to shunt out eddy currents and lower inductance, but it will again lower BL. So it puts you back to adding more motor, which Aura used a Neo motor to compensate. The whole she-bang is all about tradeoffs, whatever topology you use. You get a razor flat BL curve out of all of it, though :-)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4601
If Aura is putting their hopes on neo to build their revolution upon they better go back to the drawing board, though. There are tons of drivers using neo and hybrid magnets, especially in car audio.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 330
I cant afford to use their parts for any of my sytems, but since the thread asked what is "MY" vote for best motor I thought I would cast my vote. I believe and trust in Aurasounds technology.

I have been a Dynaudio fan for years. My all time favorite drive was the NOTORIOUS "21W54". Even with its garbage foam surround, but when I started to look into what T/S parameters measured, I was floored.

Eaton was another brand I trusted for many years, and have used their drivers in many systems.

Then as I did more research, I started to use Seas, Peerless, and Vifa. My decision was based more on affordability and value for my buck. I became very dissapointed to find out how weak these DIY drivers really were.

When I looked into the neo-dymium magnet, and underhung voice coil system, I accepted it due to its obvious benefits.

I believe that Aurasound has an advantage against the competition, especially the SPL garbage subs.

I believe in quality. Always have and always will.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4602
Aurasound has great stuff, I agree very much, I was just poking fun :-). I'm using Dyns in my truck right now, but I'm not sure what I'm doing for my next project, maybe a DIY, maybe DLS Iridium 3 ways, haven't decided. The DLS 3 ways are some of the best car 3 ways I've encountered, you can't argue with a midrange driver that covers 300hz-7khz, and does so with great clarity and dynamics.

21W54 was an incredible driver, I wish Dynaudio still offered raw drivers.

Peerless and Vifa are ok, SEAS has some fantastic stuff (Excel), and the rest is so-so, I guess competent would be what I'd describe the rest as.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 331
Speaking of dynamic range mids, have you checked out Aurasounds 1.5" and 2" full range drivers........... (250 Hz-15Khz)

Ya, also watch out for silverflute........

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 836
"If Aura is putting their hopes on neo to build their revolution upon they better go back to the drawing board, though. There are tons of drivers using neo and hybrid magnets, especially in car audio."
yeah, someone should have perhaps predicted that. this was back in '92-'93. they probably did just that since then though: went back to the drawing board. we'll see how they do.
i can't imagine anyone outdoing xbl2 tech though. eventhough its relatively more expensive than it used to be, it still surpasses most other topologies w/relation to linearity at high output. and even those are considerably more expensive.
i'm certain that actual cost will be 50-70% of the current msrp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 255
bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us