Skeptics Of Lightning Audio

Bronze Member
Username: Alastaka

Post Number: 87
Ok Lightning audio makes a sub called "s4.12.vc2" the 12 being the respective number for the size of the woofer. it goes for 100 at the moment its rated to 500 watts rms but can easily handle 3500 as my friend puts in his. but today i have a 10" woofer of this brand its sounds really good even though its designed for spl (i use it for a daily driver) plays rock, techno, rap, and anything else very well clear and crisp very low distortion. but today i was running it in a 1.25^3 ft box tuned to 45 hz running on a cheap kenwood amp running at 500 watts and i hit 144 db's tell me thats not im pressive

Silver Member
Username: Chrisklein

Post Number: 166
LOL, what a joke. I will beleive that when monkeys start flying out of my butt.

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 710
what kind of SPL meter were you using?

144_yea_rite
Unregistered guest
what was the mic and what mic was it?

(prolly an old AC in the port...lol)

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 711
that's why i was asking. lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
i dont remember what that mic was it was the old style but it only hit 132.3 with the spl-190 the one that measures air volume mounted on the windshield but thats still pretty im pressive considering what the combination is

Silver Member
Username: Mike_anthes

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 289
lol...132...and hes impressed...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
man im talking about the set up its a crap kenwood amp and the 10 in a small box just laid on my seat its far from where i want to be but its a good starting point i only paid 180 for all of it

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 713
132 isn't bad, i hit around 130 with my single 10" in a 1.7ft.3 ported box. with 140 watts running it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
that was 500 watts peak i dont have a clue what the rms is probably some where around 250 though

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9654
132 is ok. that's perfectly respectable for listening volumes.
not what I'd call an SPL sub, but a musical sub.
the problem with Lightning is their poor reliability. Their products don't hold up that well over time.

for $69 I could get an RE RE12 and probably out-perform the LA 12" in both SQ and SPL.. but that aside, I'm glad you're happy with your setup.
when you got it metered at the dash with that SPL190, was it with the windows up?

what amp is this friend using that's 3500 watts (RMS?) and how many batteries or how big of an alternator is he using to supply over 350A or current?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
umm its a stock alt on a four runner, one extra battery so two total, and its the lightning audio 2000.1 amp its 2000 rms at 2 ohms and 3500 at 1. hes been useing lightning audio for the past three or so years and has never had anything fail so i think they are pretty good hes only pushing 153.4 thats low for 15's i think but it sounds really nice

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9680
no, that's actually prettty high even for fifteens, and on a stock alternator he isn't getting 3500 watts RMS.
no way, no how. 100A alternator at most, and 350A of draw to get 3500 watts. math doesn't add up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
so how does the alternator play in to the amount of aperage you get out of the amp. i have a 140 HO in my truck its stock but what would i be able to get out of there at max with maybe a 1 farad cap

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9685
these two pages will help answer those two questions:
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
he is useing 0 gauge and an extra battery

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9687
battery just supplies more current, or for longer periods when the engine is shut off.
if the car is running, he'd need a larger alternator since that's the source of current in a running car.. at that point batteries should be in a charging state, and acting to filter the DC cutrrent.. that's all.
alternator voltage above idle is higher than battery voltage to accomplish this

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
well ill ask him tomara and get back to you but thats just what he told me he may have gotten a bigger alt since

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9692
or he burped the system for SPL with the car off. then he was on batteries only.

someone benched one of those amps at 2108 watts.. so it can put out power, but it needs juice to get there. that's all.

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 132
What year is his 4-Runner?

My stock alternator is only 60A. LOL. As far as I know, none of the 4-Runners have "large" stock alternators.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
i dont really know i think its about a 96-98 but he claims its stock
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us