Quick q's bout dual voice coil and single voice coil ???

Anonymous

hi

I just bought two infinity reference the new ones. I think they are dual voice coil. I checked the site it says the DVC subs can be wired at 2 or 8 ohms. Okay my question is because I am unsure if I got the dual voice or single voice coil. The single voice coil subs are 4ohms if I have two they can they be wired at 2 ohms? and should I go with a sealed or ported box.
thanks

Silver Member
Username: Brynm

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 111
Ther's 2 ways to find out. What is the model number? if they're 1230w or 1240w then SVC, if 1232w or 1242w then DVC, or how many connections are on each sub? if there's 4 connections then they're DVC, if only two then SVC.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9575
DVC subs ave two pair of speaker terminals on the basket or magnet structure. usually one pair on each side, or at about 10 and 2 o'clock.
SVC subs have one pair of terminals (one pos, one neg)

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9576
and one you determine that, look at the back of the magnet or terminals for a "2" or "4" followed by an "omega" symbol to tell you if the coils are 2 or 4 ohms each, respectively.
after that, use this wizard to figure out wiring:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp

Anonymous

sealed box 1.0-1.25cu.ft. for a hatchback/van/suv
1.5cu.ft. if you have an actual trunk

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9578
box volume will depend on the size of the subs (cone diameter)
if you want ported or sealed, you need to determine that by finding out the "Qts" for your subwoofers

Anonymous

thanks for the quick help

my subs are DVC

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9581
tens? twelves?
did you get a sheet of paper with the subs listing their Thiele-Small specs?
look for a spec called Qts, and tell me what that is.
then I can tell ya if you want sealed or ported

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 114
What is Qts?

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 115
Also what is the signal to noise ratio? Is it better to have a higher one or lower?

Silver Member
Username: Brynm

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 112
go here http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product_support.aspx and select your model number on the drop down menu then go to boxes and parameters it will be on that page

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9608
S/N or Signal to Noise ratio

reference links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal-to-noise_ratio

signal-to-noise ratio (SNR):
The ratio of the amplitude of the desired signal to the amplitude of noise signals at a given point in time.

SNR is expressed as 20 times the logarithm of the amplitude ratio, or 10 times the logarithm of the power ratio.

SNR is usually expressed in decibels (dB) and in terms of peak values for impulse noise and root-mean-square (RMS) values for random noise. In defining or specifying the SNR, both the signal and noise should be characterized, e.g., peak-signal-to-peak-noise ratio, in order to avoid ambiguity.

The sSNR of car amplifiers today is below the threshold of human hearing, so this emasurement is of little use when comparing amplifiers. Factors such as slew rate, damping factor, and power supply voltage are more important in determining the quality of an amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us