Glass, how can I test line quality w/ a multimeter (voltmeter)

allende5
Unregistered guest
Been planning to redo my system for almost two months now and I'm finally ready to complete it this weekend.

I upgraded my alternator line for 4AWG to 0AWG (just for the sport of it). I also bought a new 12' line of Stinger Dream RCA interconnects to run from my 7v line out on my EQ straight to my JLAudio's (yeah...I finally bought 'em).

Question: I want to know if upgrading my RCA lines to the Stinger Dreams from my Monster 9' (101 XLN) lines was worth it. Can I use a multimeter (voltmeter or whatever their called) to measure the line quality and acutally "see" the the difference?

I know I should hear the difference, but sound is only a perception anyway and after spending money on the JL's I'll be damned if I don't hear a difference! =)

It's not so much because it's all necessary, but like I said, it's for the sport of it all. I also want to know how I can measure the line out voltage to see what the EQ output voltage really is.

Advice? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9580
ok you're really not going to hear any difference.. but shielding may be better so you may get less noise, although even that'd be arguable. all you can really measure with a DMM is the resistance from end to end.. a lower resistance is good.
for line voltage, you'll need a tone generator or test tone CD, and a true-RMS multimeter that can read AC voltage.
then just attach it to the RCA jack, send a test tone, and see what the voltage is.
7V should be the measurement at full volume. voltage increases with volume
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us