Question on using 2 amps to 1 dvc sub...

Bronze Member
Username: Erikdagenerik

Livermore, CA US

Post Number: 33
I've probably mentioned this before in other threads, but I have a Diamond Audio M6 D4 800W rms. I have one Phoenix Gold amp 8.0:1 600W rms @ 2-ohm going into it. If I want more power, is it possible to get another one of the same amp and wire each coil to each amp? Will that mean each coil gets 600 watts? I don't know if any of this makes sense. LoL. Someone help me out. Thx.

Silver Member
Username: Hurleyblink

Post Number: 175
sounds like you only got 1 voice coil hooked up right now is that crrect? idk but that will definately damage the speaker if you do plus that speaker is 800 w rms your amp is 600 rms, if u got anothr 600 rms amp and hooked the 2 up to it that would be 1200 watts rms, and that is way too much, 50 to 100 maybe okay to go over rms, under is also okay where u are at right now 200 under, i guess in a way if you were to feed that sub 1000 rms it would be alright as long as you watched yor gains, i wouldnt reccomend 1200 rms to a 800 rms sub though

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 843
people do run 2 amps to 1 sub, but most of the time they "strap" the amps.

By "strapping" to amps...one amp essentually becomes the "+" amp and the other becomes the "-" amp. (the amps are hooked together w/ a phone-line and one amp becomes the master while the other becomes the slave, this allows you to use the gain on just 1 amp to control both amps) look in the manuals for your amps and see it they are strappable. If so, then you can do this.

Also (in competition) people will run one amp to each coil just for burps. I WOULD NEVER DO THIS FOR DAILY USE!!! The do something called "gain-matching". The set the gains on each amp so that they each produce the same amount of power when the HU is at a given level. I WOULD NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU REALLY KNOW THAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!

If you "gain-match" and screw up, you may end up w/ a dead sub/amps. (or even fire)

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 776
it's perfectly fine to run the vc that way. i had to gain clarity myself on the issue.
even if you were to run both of the vc with different amps completely out of phase, you still wouldn't damage your subs. the magnetic fields would merely cancel each other out resulting in no push/pull at all.
if you were to use that amp on just one vc, it wouldn't damage it. your Qes would increase causing your Qts to increase, resulting in a peakier resonance.
and if you added an amp to the opposite vc in phase you would just push the driver twice as hard (the result i believe you're looking for).
so with your sub, each voice coil is 4ohms. thus, your amp would push its 4ohm rating into each coil.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 777
and looking again at your amp, if your 4ohm rating is 1/2 of your 2ohm rating, you would just be defeating the purpose of a second amp. (obviously, because you can push 600 watts with the one amp alone).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us