Decibels?????????

Bronze Member
Username: Ishkabobble55

Post Number: 52
how do they work? what does it mean? how much of a change is it from 100db-110db-120db-130db-140db? sorry for asking but im clueless??!!

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 596
every 10 dbs is audibly twice as loud.
Decibels are a measure of sound

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 833
+10dB is twice the audible volume.

it takes double the power to get +3dB.

130dB could be considered a "normal loud" system. this is also considered the thresh hold of pain for most people.

in other words, 130 is reasonably loud...140 will hurt if you arent used to it(everything in the car will be shaking)...150 is crazy loud (wear hearing protection or else!)...160 is, well 160 is just insane!!!

Silver Member
Username: Cnafets

Post Number: 124
10 more decibles will require at about 8 times the power. For example 10db at 2 watts will require 16 watts for 20db

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4465
As far as a fixed decibel relation, generalizing:

DB Amplification
0db 1 time
3db 2 times
6db 4 times
10db 10 times
20db 100 times

1db is considered the smallest audible change to the human ear. 3db is considered to be a noticeable change (like if you wanted to turn the TV volume up a tad to hear it a little better). 6-10db is percieved as twice as loud, exactly the db is hard to say as it is dependant on the persons ears, frequency referred to, etc. It is logarithmic. 100db is twice as loud as 90db, 110 is twice as loud as 100, and so forth.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9420
google is your friend, sir

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 426
"in other words, 130 is reasonably loud...140 will hurt if you arent used to it"

Only if by "used to it" you mean partially deaf. 120 dB is officially considered the threshold of pain and new studies that have been released suggest that permanent damage can occur with prolonged exposure to SPL levels over a mere 70 dB. Turns out all of the "iPodders" are going deaf.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 834
What was that...i cant hear you

:-)

But really, SPL in the 130's is about the average for your "everyday" systems. (ex: the guy down the street w/ 2 kicker comp 12's)

When you reach 140+ you are really starting to get loud...if the average joe sits in the vehicle they will have a hard time staying there for an extended period of time.

Bronze Member
Username: Dtribe

Post Number: 97
lol I just realized i was rubbin my ear from being sore and all the wax while i was reading this

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 427
'nuff said
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us