Does the amp make a difference in sq?

Silver Member
Username: Dpaw20

FL USA

Post Number: 282
if so, how much of a difference?

I have 2 12" type-r's and an A8000 Audiobahn 800 watt amp at 2 ohms..

would getting a different amp really make THAT much of a difference?

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 577
yes, b/c the amp is an audiobahn, which isn't a company known for quality, and b/c the type r's can handle about 200 more watts than you have running to them
if i'm not mistaken the rms on the type-r's is 500 watts rms

i just looked up your amp and if you are running it at 2 ohms, then iy is putting out 500 watts rms, which is as much as one Type-r can handle.
Get another Amp:-)

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 578
one that does 1000 watts rms. then, you will have a 6db gain b/c you will be doubling the power to two speakers, and a 10 db gain is known as twice the bass(audibly) so you will have almost twice the bass.

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 579
I HAVE DONE IT AGAIN! i am sorry, your question was about SQ, not loudness, so i will say this: you will probably get better sound with a higher-quality amplifier, for two reasons. a higher-quality amp will produce a cleaner signal, and depending on the amp, can produce it at less ohms.:-) sorry for rattling on about something not related entirely to your question. lol

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 580
BUT, if you do want more bass, that would be some pretty useful info! lol

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 828
yesa better quality amp would produce a big difference.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 620
Lots of people say and would like to believe that all amps sound the same as long as they are at low levels. That is completely not true. You need to consider technical factors, like looking at the frequency response and dampening factor. Most people would think that all amps would produce the same frequencies the same. Actually lower end amps will "roll off" frequencies at the far ends of the spectrum. Meaning that they are less loud than the rest of the frequecies being produced, so not giving a good clean balanced sound. Then dampening factor is the ability for the amp to stop the movement of the sub. So if you have a sloppy sub paired with a sloppy amp, things are bound to sound messy. The higher the dampening factor the better.

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 204
how does Digital Audio rank among these amps?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9383
yes it makes a difference.
go to the amplifier section and read the thread called "a watt is a watt theory"
all your questions will be answered therein.

Silver Member
Username: 02gsxr

Post Number: 116
Yes!

a) More power = less distortion

b) A good SQ amp will make a dramatic difference. You will greatly improve your imaging and staging in your full range speakers, and improve the sound of your sub a TON!

Check out Zapco, Eclipse, Arc, etc.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9396
zapco, sinfoni, tru technology, mcintosh, brax, harrison labs, US amps.. plenty of good companies for high end amplifiers with over-built power supplies and good designs with high quality components throughout the amps. You pay for that though.. quality doesn't come cheaply.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 756
i was hanging at the shop afterhours this weekend and listened to the Tru T4.150. we turned the gains all the way down and played an mp3 on some diamond D3's. the sound was so clear that the mp3 sounded like a very well mixed cd. i'm a believer of a watt being a watt, but there is something to this class T technology that is just.. something.
anyone familiar with class T?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9421
"Class T: Class T (Tripath) is similar to class D with these exceptions: This class does not use analog feed back like its class D cousin. The feedback is digital and is taken ahead of the output filter, avoiding the phase shift of this filter. Because class D or T amplifier distortion arises from timing errors, the class T amplifier feeds back timing information. The other distinction is that this amplifier uses a digital signal processor to convert the analog input to a PWM signal and process the feedback information. The processor looks at the feedback information and makes timing adjustments. Because the feedback loop does not include the output filter, the class T amplifier is inherently more stable and can operate over the full audio band. Most listeners can not hear the difference between class T and good class AB designs. Both class D and T designs share one problem: they consume extra power at idle. Because the high frequency waveform is present at all times, even when there is no audio present, the amplifiers generate some residual heat. Some of these amplifiers actually turn off in the absence of music, and can be annoying if there is too much delay turning back on."

http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/ampspecs.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us