Tough Decision, Kicker L7's

Username: Mistaque

Post Number: 1
OK, so I've had my L7's for a little over a year now(and yes, I HAVE blown them, I'm on my 2nd pair) and I have changed cars since then, right now I have them running out of a home-built(to dimensions) box, they're run off a Rockford A8002(800w RMS x 1 @ 2ohm). I'm not getting the dB's I'm looking for, so my question is, what do i do? I've been looking around at a bunch of 3 way low pass crossovers(especially clarion), or maybe having a box custom built, or maybe inverting my subs. Anyone out there have any personal experience or technical knowledge on what would give me the best results with perhaps costing me the least? Eventually all 3 of these things will be done, but for now I can only afford one.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4449
More power or a ported box. That's about it. Inverting won't do anything for SPL.

Post Number: 2
i forgot to mention i already have it hooked up through 2 optima yellow tops and a rockford 1 farad cap, so i dont know how much more power and can get into them.....

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 553
more power meaning a more powerful amp...right now your running 2 L7's off of 800 watts RMS combined...which means that each sub is only seeing 400 watts...depending on the size that you have, you should be able to give them more...the 12s take 750 rms...you probably blew the subs due to clipping because they should blow getting half of their RMS value...look into a stronger amp...what would you price range be?

Post Number: 3
ummm no sir, they are each taking 800 watts at 2 ohms

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4452
That amplifier can only run 800 watts at 2 ohms. That's going to halve across the speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 825
are your subs dual 2ohm or dual 4 ohm?

if can manage to get a 1ohm load i'd run them off this amp

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_360.html

Also build a ported box with 5.5cuft and tune it to 35 hz. That'll give you some a lot more bass.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us