How does amping a W7 work?

Bronze Member
Username: Erikdagenerik

Livermore, CA US

Post Number: 24
I probably worded the topic all wrong, but I will try my best to explain myself. And sorry in advance if I sound like a car audio newbie, because I am one.

My friend just got a 10W7 for his car. I've heard it, and I want one too. I never got a chance to ask him what amp he's using, and chances are I won't see him for a while. So I just have a question. How does powering a 3-ohm sub work? I noticed some amps are like (for example) 1000w @ 1-ohm, and 500w @ 4-ohm. So does that mean it is safe to say that the power the W7 will be getting from this same amp is somewhere from 600-700w? Or will the amp not with with the sub? Or is it bad for the sub?

I noticed the JL 500/1 amp is 500w @ 1.5-4 ohms so I'm assuming that any sub withing that range of ohms will get 500w no matter what.

Right now I have a Phoenix Gold 8.0:1 Octane-R amp with 600w @ 2-ohm. I know the 10W7 is best used with 500w amp (says the site). Would my amp be okay with the sub? If so, how much power is really coming out of the W7.

Any help is appreciated. Sorry for being a newb again, I just need to know.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9312
with a W7 you want to use a JL amp like the 500/1
all of their slash series amps use their RIPS system which puts out the same power to any load between 1.5 and 4 ohms, so a 3 ohm load gets the same power as 2 or 4 ohms would.
makes life easier with their goofy coil loads.

Bronze Member
Username: Erikdagenerik

Livermore, CA US

Post Number: 25
I noticed that Phoenix Gold has an amp X600.1 which is 600W @ 4-1 ohm load. So will that work the same way? It seems cheaper to me.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9315
yes

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 554
its also very underrated...it'll put out more like 750 watts rms

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 618
Ryan, you are saying that the PG is underrated by 40%???!!! I find that VERY hard to believe.....

Silver Member
Username: Chrisklein

Post Number: 128
That is not 40%. You might want to figure your math again man. It's actually 25%, and i dont know if it is that or not. I just wanted to make sure that you knew the exact figure.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 619
Sh*t.... I got confused with the 500/1. lol. Yeah, 25% underrated would be 750, my bad. For some reason I was figuring 40% of 500, which would be 700.

Bronze Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 90
lol, long day Isaac? ;) heh heh.. Gotta love'm. *grins* 140% of 500, I'm sure you meant.

And actually...on the topic of PG / JL amps..

Would a JL 1000/1 sound better-louder than a PG Xenon 1200.1? Anyone actually know the answer to this from experience not just speculation?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Ky

Post Number: 4772
the jl 1000/1 is underrated by at least 20 percent, so it will be 1200 watts rms, hopefully, its also better build quality becasue pg has been slipping so it will most likely also sound better.

Bronze Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 57
in all honesty the JL 1000/1 is rated at 1000 watts rms at all ohm loads and voltages between 10.5 to 14.4 but it won't put out more power then 1000 watts. that is straight from every JL dealer, rep, or tech i have ever talked to.....it's also the reason i spent my money on the zapco instead of the jl amp.....and from what i gather from the store i bought my w7 from he thinks the zapco 1100.1 and the w7 are a match made in heaven. but back on point i look at the slash series amps as a more sound quality and less worry amp then spl as it won't put out more then what it is rated at cuz of the RIPS tech in it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us