Type r knocking? plz help me

bob watson
Unregistered guest
ok heres what going on i just recently bought a 1242 type r and there 600w amp alpines like 605m or something i got 4 gauge wire running to it and i know the sub is olny 500 w rms but every one says it can take a lot more so i got a 600w amp anyways i built a ported box 1.8 cu but 1.3 minus port so anyways when at high volume with gain on 1 goes from .1 to .3 .5 .7 1 1.5 2 4 8 are gain settings and on 1 with like +8 bass boost on goes by 2s up to 16 at high voulme on certain bass hits it sounds like the sub is knocking or hitting something there is plenty of clerance i have no idea and help or ideas what it might be am i over powering it?
also if i turn the bass boost down to like 4 and gain to 1.5 it dosent knock or what ever its doing my friend didnt hear it but he said it might be the sub sucking in and out air from the port i only hear it when i am facing the sub i have a hatch so when i open it to look at the sub adjust amp etc i hear it but in front seat no idea its doing that

thank u so much for any comments

Silver Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 167
its bottoming out. don't ever use bass boost. I have the same model sub running off a mtx thunder 801d. its taking 800 rms, with no bass boost and its louder and deeper than my friends 2 d3 diamonds running 600 rms each. i also have a ported box.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9314
box is too small
gain should be set to 4V not 1V
bass boost on the amp should be flat
subsonic filter should be set to the same frequency as the enclosure port is tuned
with alpine uheads, some of them need the subw level set to about +8 to get a 4V pre-out signal.

Silver Member
Username: 02gsxr

Post Number: 107
Yep, the sub is bottoming out! This means the sub is moving too far in and out and the voice coil is actually hitting inside the sub.

This could also be due to the box it is in. What is the box tuned at? If it is tuned too high, the sub loses it's power handling at low frequencies because the sub is able to move too easily.

The bass boost should ALWAYS be set at 0, and the input should be at about the same voltage as the preout on your deck.

bob watson
Unregistered guest
oh ok box is 1.8 cuft, ported it is 1.3 cu if you dont add port 33 hz is what its tuned to my head unit is a older model jvc and it has a 4v out and settting for woofer goes 1 to 12

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9340
you need to add both port volume and driver displacement to the box's internal volume to get the actual net volume for figuring port length.
your box may be tuned higher than you think due to these errors.

bob watson
Unregistered guest
i did add those i belive i used the spec for optimum enclose in the 12" type r manual all of there measurement so im gussing its 33 hz. its 1.8 gross and 1.3 net so thats the port volume and i added drive displacment of .07

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9342
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=4&post=423285#POST423285

Bronze Member
Username: Brynm

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 86
Glass, you linked right back to the same post

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9352
more specifically to my own post where I already explained what to do to fix the problem :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us