REALLY REALLY weird question.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Ky

Post Number: 4747
is there any way to make a sub stop working temporarily...lets be hypothetical. Lets say i have a sub. i want someone to believe it doesnt work anymore. They KNOW NOTHING about car audio! I want them to believe a sub isnt working anymore. BUT i want to be able to make it work when i want it to. do u understand lol? i just want to trick someone into thinking a sub doesnt work. i mean they know how to wire it to an amp. THATS IT. is there anything i can do

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 538
turn off the sub out in your HU, if you have one on your HU, that probably wouldn't work though. lol

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3924
Sub is a very simple device. No electronics inside. You can basically attach a small capacitor (30mf) that's not visible on the sub. Then any bass that is sent to it will be filtered out. Thus you get no bass and make the sub look defective.

Gold Member

Ky

Post Number: 4748
hmm...where can i get one of these. thanks isaac

Gold Member

Post Number: 3926
Any electronic stores. Radio Shack or eBay. Make sure the capacitor is non polarized (meaning no pos and neg).

Gold Member

Ky

Post Number: 4750
how doe sit hook up?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3929
Take a look at your tweeters. It's hooked up the same way, on the pos terminal.

Anonymous

or you could wire a switch between one of the terminals next to your seat and turn the sub on and off with the flick of a switch whenever you wanted

Gold Member

Ky

Post Number: 4751
anon, i have that already lol. ive had that awhile, but i dont need it to turn off and on in my car. just free airing in my garage hooked up to a reciever. with pure bass. BUt isaac, i dont have tweeters in my car except the ones that are dangling in my speaker lol

Anonymous

+ --{[[]]}-- +

if you know how an inline fuse works you can put that inline on the pos terminal

Gold Member

Post Number: 3930
The capacitor gets connected to the pos terminal on the sub. Attach one end to the sub's terminal and the other end to the speaker wire.
The capacitors are small enough to be hidden right on the wire. You can cut one of the wire and connect the capacitor and then use the electrical tape to cover it.

Gold Member

Ky

Post Number: 4754
hmm good plan isaac. but what about its dvc? or should it only be on the positive of the one that goes from the wrie to the amp/reciever

Gold Member

Post Number: 3932
It doesn't matter how many subs or VCs you have, they all end up connecting to the amp. So if you modify the wire, then it'll work.
I hope your friend can take a joke, cause if he/she ever finds out, you will surely get some azz kicking.

Gold Member

Ky

Post Number: 4760
isaac, if u have aim, can u im me please? nushaganazad

Gold Member

Post Number: 3934
Sorry, I have no AIM/MSN/AOL etc. I prefer to use my typewriter to communicate! Just kidding.
Those chat programs used to cause lot of slow down and bugs on my system so I deleted them all.

Gold Member

Ky

Post Number: 4761
ohh lol, thanks anyways

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9316
um just put a toggle switch on the remote trigger line to the amplifier somewhere hidden.
switch off the amplifier for the subs when you want the subs disabled.
problem solved.

Gold Member

Ky

Post Number: 4766
glass, thats what anon said, i already have that, but i dont want people to just think it doesnt work in my car, i want the amp to be able to full power it but not make the sub come on, the kid will know if the amp is on or not, i want to be able to free air it any car and show that it doesnyt work, not just mine

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9349
this is starting to sound a bit retarded. what's the point?

use the same trick but wire the switch to one of the speaker terminals instead, so you interrupt the circuit at the speaker terminals.
mount the switch under the box in a terminal cup sort of location.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 824
i think what sub wants to do is get ahold of some noobs's subs and do this "trick" to the subs to try and rip them off by buying a "broken sub" and then he could use it for his own use

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9356
you shouldn't ever run a sub "free air" when it's designed to work in an enclosure anyway.
there's no damping for the driver that way and you're very likely to destroy the sub with very little power applied doing this.. at which point you won't have to worry about any tricks. the sub isn't going to play no matter what you do once the coil frays and the cone freezes up.

Gold Member

Ky

Post Number: 4768
im not going to run it full power, i just want to hook it up in my garage to show someone that it doesnt work lol., i DONT WANT TO PUIT IT IN MY CAR AND DO IT, its not giong to be run "free air" i just want them to able to see the whole sub. and wahl no lol, im doing it to my own sub, not someone elses

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9367
cut one of the tinsel leads :-)
problem solved! sub won't play!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3937
Make your own sub wires with aligator clips on one end. Use 12 - 10 gauge cables that are black. Then cut into the pos wire and install a 33mf non polarized capacitor. Now use the black electrical tape over it. Do the same on the neg wire so that both wires look the same. Now you can use the cable and hook up any subs and it'll sound half dead.
You should make another set of exact cable that doesn't have capacitor connected. Then you can switch cables when needed.
FYI, the capacitor value I used is just an example. Use the capacitor formula to find the desired frequency cut off.

Again, if the guy find out what you did, you are going to get some azz kicking.

Gold Member

Ky

Post Number: 4770
haha, why would i get an azz
kicking, its my own sub?

Bronze Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 16
He COULD...just turn the amp's gain up all the way, and in the process damage harshly the sub and amp. Therefore, no matter what he EVER does, the sub won't play! Or do something really stupid like connect the sub directly to a home audio receiver without a xover in between. Rule #1, never connect any type of speaker directly the the channel's output.

Gold Member

Ky

Post Number: 4771
haha, i know tyler, but i do NOT want to damage the sub, just make it look like its not working, im def doing isaacs idea

Anonymous

did somebody lend you a subwoofer for your room ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us