Should i trust the local audio store employees?

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 280
i have two infinity ref. 4x6 speakers that i want to put in my oldsmobile alero, but all the stock audio stuff is 8 ohm (what were they thinking), including the built-in amp. i talked to the local audio store employees today and they said the speakers would do fine in my car even though the infinities are 4 ohm, and that they wouldnt blow since they can handle so much power. do you think it would be safe and sound good to put them in? thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
anyone have any ideas

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 533
why wouldn't it be safe to put them in your car. unless you plan on running them on the stock amp. which i don't suggest

Silver Member

Post Number: 284
well the amp goes to each of the 4 speakers so they would be running off the amp if i swapped them out

Silver Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 110
a built-in amp will most likely be underpowering them. which is fine, just don't turn the amp up into clipping cuz you want it louder...

if you could give us some specs on the amp and speakers we could be of more help!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3928
Do not install 4ohm speakers unless you're planning to install an external amp for them.
Unless the store employee gives you the guarantee in writing, don't take his word for it.
Cutting the resistance by half will be enough to burn/fry amps/HUs.

Silver Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 111
right, i WAS assuming that the amp could handle 4ohm impedance.. i agree with isaac

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9317
I wouldn't assume that. if the amp isn't 4 ohm stable, you'll end up cooking the amplifier's internals.

Silver Member
Username: Zero43

Kyle, TX USA

Post Number: 161
personally i wouldnt trust many local dealers when it comes to selling you something
You did the right thing by coming here first
to play it safe even if a warranty is given always check elsewhere and when you know exactly what you want then go to them
One audio store tried to force me into buying a 1500 watt amp for a sub rated at 1000 rms just to get me to spend an extra 250 on a higher model amp.

Biased opinions are always best
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us