RE 12 surprised me ! ! !

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2000
So i finally get the RE 12 from RE yesterday and i put it in today in my suv. Its in a 1.5 cu ft. ported box tuned to 32hz.

Since its a dual 4 ohm sub i wired it down to 2 ohm to match up with my crossfire amp that puts out 500 x 1 @ 2 ohm which is more then enough for this sub. This sub is rated 175 watts rms but re told me on the phone that i can do 250 watts rms easy. I gave it 500 watts and set the gain to like less then half or close to it. I turned the subsonic filter on but im not exactly sure what is the best freq for it right now.

Anyways i wired it up and turned the hu up and started to listen to it and immediatly felt a big differance from the 2 jl 12w6v2's that i had in before the change.

I listen to mostly rap and it got much deeper then my 2 12w6v2's and sounded very punchy and hit all of the freq around 32hz and up very nice. Now i know the RE 12 is only 175 watts rms each and my 2 jls were 400 watts rms each but this one single RE 12 hit harder and louder then the JL's did combined and it cost me only $77 dollars shipped to my door plus a $100 dollar box VS. $879.99 for 2 jl 12w6v2's in a prowedge box.

So far im very impressed RE's entry level sub and i cant wait to find out what the SE,SX,XXX sound like.

Next im gonna test just 1 12w6v2 in the same ported box i have the RE 12 in and compare them.

Silver Member
Username: Dz43893

Chicago, Illinois United states

Post Number: 251
i bet the w6 will be alot louder

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 155
Doug how will one W6 in a ported box be way louder than the RE if he said that the RE hit harder than the 2 W6s which i find hard to believe but if it does thats sick for an entry level sub im thinking about buying 2 myself to see how they are.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2001
OK i just got done testing the 12w6v2 in the same ported box as the RE 12 and they JL 12w6v2 was louder and hit the lows better but the RE 12 had more punch to it. The JL 12w6v2's i tested earliar were in a sealed box so that is why i wasnt getting as much output as 1 sub ported which is usually a 3db gain if its the same sub ported and that is exactly what happend going from 2 sealed to 1 ported.

Regardless of which is louder, i am still amazed at the RE 12's performance. I dont think you can beat that sub for the price you pay of $77 shipped. It really gets loud for a 8 pound subwoofer!!! lol

Quick Shot i whould definetly go with 2 RE 12's in a ported box built to 3.0 cu ft. tuned to 32hz / that will hit real hard and sound so nice.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4439
So now your job is to port both of your W6v2s :-)

Silver Member
Username: Chrisklein

Post Number: 124
I new you would be really happy. As you know, i have 4 of them and the main thing that you notice with them is that they are extremely punchy. The next thing i need to do at some point is try ported, although i prefer sealed, i am interested to hear the difference. The sub is actually only 6 pounds max. Did you build the box yoruself or did you buy it???

Anonymous

MO where did u get the subs and what brand r they?

I was thinking of getting them too.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2005
I got the sub from www.reaudio.com , you will have to call them to order.

They are the RE 12 subs by Resonant Engineering

jonathan / i think im gonna pass on porting both jl 12w6v2's becuase i dont wanna spend money on the box and also i rather go with a single subwoofer setup as opposed to 2 from now on. It saves space in most cases and is lighter.

Jonathan maybe you can help me decide between the RE SX and Eclipse Ti and RE XXX

I have a crossfire vr1000d that does 1000 x 1 @ 1 ohm at 12.5 volts

I also have a Eclipse DA7122 mono amp that does 1000 x 1 @ 2 ohm tested at like 13.6 volts or somthing.

Im definetly gonna go for a SQL driver in a ported box for everyday that is SPL first and SQ second.

I listen to mostly rap so tell me if i should go with a 12 or 15 for whichever sub on here that whould match the amp i have. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Chrisklein

Post Number: 126
Did you build your box or buy it??

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2016
Chris, i bought my box from www.woodlawncabinetry.com and it cost me $105 plus $20 shipping. I live in maryland and this guy is in PA. Phil did a very nice job on the box. Hes building me a box for a Avalanche 15 right now and i will also have him build me a box for a SX 15. My RE 12 sounds so punchy at 1.5 cuft tuned to 32hz. You will have better SQ sealed but you will get more output of course ported but loose some lows in certain freq ported. Anything around 32hz and over plays very good in this box.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us