GLASSWOLF... found x.x.x problem

Silver Member
Username: Fordpwr

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 321
O.K. I found what blew from my sub. It's the tinsel leads. One from each terminal, Can't remember if + or -. Sub is at my work.If I hook em up back toghether do you think it will work or do you suspect internal damage to VC or something ? Also, My gain was set at 1/2 way. You also mentioned in my other thread that clipping was the reason for my sub to blow, How do I prevent this ? The amp for the 15" x.x.x ( dual 4 ohm)is the Infinity 1210a(1200 rms x 1 @ 2 ohms) and the amp for my 18" x.x.x. is the Orion 1200D(1200 rms x 1 @ 1 ohm) both in diff vehicles. I really don't want to fu(k up my 18" Thanks a bunch Glass.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9258
if you try fixing the tinsel leads, you need to use a special solder to do it that's a non-flux solder.. otherwise the solder will flow right down the leads when you heat them, and that'll cause them to stiffen up and ruin them.

what caused them to separate could be a few factors.. too much heat generated by the power going through them (clipping could do this) or over-excursion causing them to separate when they hit Xsus, which is less likely.
How old is the sub? I'd talk to RE about the damage and see what they recommend, or talk to a local repair shop that could re-solder those leads for you.
the solution would be to turn the gain down a bit more on the amp, and if the box is ported, make sure you're using a subsonic filter set to the tuned port frequency with that amplifier.. if not, the sub can unload below the tuned frequency, and cause the sub to over-extend.. tearing those leads.

Silver Member

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 322
Thanks Glass, I just spoke to RE this afternoon and they said its only 75 bucks + shipping there and back to me, not bad. The sub is only about 4 months old.Oh yeah, and I made a startling discoverie this morning when I went in to pull out my amp from my 'stang. I let my brother-in-law borrow my 'stang last weekend and it turns out he had set the gain all the way up to get it louder. So I'm sure know that thats what blew my sub.Oh well, at least its not expensive to repair and I still got my 18" .x.x.x. on my expedition and an extra 15". I'm also looking into an 18" SX that I can get from the only authorized dealer in So. Cali. for 305 bucks.The guy said they are a little louder than the x.x.x. but I don't know about that, I mean the x.x.x. is a notch above the SX, right ? I'm gonna check it out tomorrow and give it a try in my 7.5 cube box before I buy it. Have you ever heard the SX, if so, how does it compare to the x.x.x. ? Thabks man.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2004
Im thinking about getting the SX also DR MAX. Ive also heard it gets as loud as the XXX if not louder. Trying to decide between the SX 12 or 15 right now for my suv.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9272
I'd make the bro in law pay for that repair and make it very clear to him not to ever mess with the stereo settings without asking first again.
yeah it sounds like he killed your sub but hey, at least now you can speak first hand about how clipping can toast a sub.

yes, the SX will get louder than the XXX due to being more eficient. It just won't sound as good at high output as the XXX does.

hey max, what size are those XXX subs of yours? 12"? If you sell em, I let me know how much ya want. I might like to get a second pair of the older style ones to mess around with in some box ideas I have.

Silver Member

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 327
Sorry Glass, They're 2 15" 's, wich are dual 4 ohm, and 1 18" standard dual 2 ohm, AND they are definately NOT for sale Glass.lol.
You know I would make him pay for it,but, the guy's cool sh1t man. I can't tell you what he does for a living but the reason why WE have a huge wardrobe,I'm talikng nice p1mp clothing, ,colognes and perfumes, footwear, etc.etc., its him. He gives us all kinds of sh1t and takes us out to dinner almost every weekend. I can't do that to him.
Before I put in the 15 x.x.x. in my 'stang I had 2 polk momo's(by the way the blown sub belonged to my tahoe, not my 'stang as stated above)
When we swapped the fuel cell for a bigger one we took the subs out, while sitting out he dropped a rachet on 'em and cracked the cone on one of them, they have aluminum cones. They still work, I just poured some gorilla glue on it and works perfectly just looks a little ugly.
I did'nt make him get me a new sub or whatever.
But hey Glass, I was gonna get the blown sub tinsel leads repaired but they said they had no way of testing for intewrnal damage. He explained it to me but I forgot what he said. Do you think something could be damaged inside ?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9310
no idea honestly.. it's very possible he fried the coils on that sub, too.. but no way to tell.
you can try using a DMM to see if the coil impedances are normal. for a dual 4 ohm they'd be about 3.6 ohms each for DC resistance.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us