Can I hook only front speakers to an amp to create a better sound stage?

Bronze Member
Username: Homsardude

Post Number: 22
Ok here's the rundown: I replaced my stock speakers with 6.5" and 6x9 Pioneer triaxial (or whatever that word is) speakers, and I added one 10" Alpine SWR-1042D with an MTX 801d. So far I really like the sub, great sound for a great price. But the Pioneer 6.5" speakers just aren't doing it for me. They really don't sound bad, but I think the rear 6x9s sound better, fuller, louder, etc. When I have the fade balanced the sound is clearly coming from behind, but when I fade it forward it doesn't sound as good anymore. But I still have to crank the volume to get them loud, which from what I've been reading isn't too good for them.

After doing a little research it seems that I should install another amp for my interior speakers if I want to get a better sound, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Is it possible to run the front speakers off an amp, and just let the rear speakers run off the HU? It seems like this would fix my sound stange problems.

So then I thought I might as well get some component speakers if I'm going to amplify them. I checked out specs on several different speakers and the Pioneer TS-C160R have what look like the best stats and cost $130 off eBay.

So here are my questions then:
1. Should I amp my front speakers, or both front and rear?
2. Should I get Pioneer TS-C160R, stick with current Pioneers or go another way entirely?
3. Can I hook another amp up to the existing power line running from the battery?
4. Will an AudioBahn A2002T do the job ampwise?

Thanks so much for all your help guys, and sorry to everyone that has to endure such noob questions so often :D

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9250
1 use a 4 channel amp.. about 50x4, and you'll be good for fronts and rears
2 try the ones you have now amplified first
3 depends on current draw, and the gauge of that line
4 don't like audiobahn

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

Post Number: 536
Ok, Glass may not like Audiobahn, but Isaac got me the A8000T, and since then, it's a power house, and seems to deliver when needed. It's part of the same line of amplifiers as the A2002T, and therefore, is built almost identically with minor differences such as not being mono class D. Try the A4004T for a 4 channel model there buddy. It's what I plan on adding after I get rid of my Volfenhags next summer (after I get a job lol) and replace them with my Cerwin Vega...yes, just one sub, I think I might buy the Stroker PRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If not, it will definitely be 2 V-Max's. Well, that's it for now.

Craigharding
Unregistered guest
get a 4 channel amp.i got a 400 by 4 amp and it does good.yes u can hook a amp to the existing power line.if u want a ampwise subwoofer go with the pioneer 12 inch.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Ok, new comments/questions:

1. I have a 4 gauge power wire for my MTX 801d right now, would that be enough to run a 50X4 amp off of as well? If so, how do I hook that up?
2. What's a recommended 50x4 amp that is the best bang for the buck?
3. Will adding an amp make the notes that are in the frequency range just above my subwoofer (mid-bass?) sound louder/clearer/fuller?

Thanks again everyone for the help!

Bronze Member
Username: Jron

Post Number: 86
yes.get a distribution block 4gauge in, 4 gauge out, with an 8 gauge output. 2. you decide, alpine, mtx, etc. are all good.3. it will sound better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Ok final question (for now :D...probably):

I think technically my car (1996 Honda Civic Coupe) can't handle the MTX 801D in it right now, but I haven't noticed any dimming of headlights or any other types of problems while playing my stereo as loud as I like it. So, will I be able to add a 50x4 amp without needing to change the alternator?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9458
no way to know till ya try it

shelpie
Unregistered guest
Jordan, Go listen to a bunch of speakers at Best Buy or someplace better? If you do, check out the Infinity two-ways. To my ear, they sound great. Also, on Ebay, check out the MB Quart DKE 169 two-way 6x9's. Also, consider 6.5" round speakers - they sound great. Sorry Pioneer, sony, and even small Alpines dont sound good to me. Forget triax - too much cr@p over the woofer . Look the MB Quart website and bargain hunt on ePay ;-) -Paul

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1486
If sound coming from the rear bothers you I'd just get a 2 channel and run your 6x9's off the deck. If you give them even close to the same amount of power they are going to outplay your 6 1/2's and mess with your soundstage. If you're just looking for "loud" or don't mind spending extra money on a couple channels that will barely be utilized(turn down the rear gains) go the 4 channel route.

Myself, I began with a 4 channel Xtant 4180c(45x4) running both rear and front speaks. Eventually the screwed up soundstage got to me and now I'm running that same amp bridged(180x2) to a pair MB Quart 5 1/4" Q's. I replaced the rear full range speaks with a pair of JL 6w0's running mono 100-200 Hz off a pair Xtant 1.1i's. System now sounds much richer and has what I consider superb imaging.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Ah, awesome. Just the answer I was looking for when I originally started this topic lol. Funny how I start thinking of questions and then I start thinking of more questions and then my original questions don't even get addressed. I like sound coming from the rear, I just don't like it to overpower the sound coming from the front, that's all.

I'm thinking maybe that since the price between a 50x2 amp and a 50x4 amp is pretty small (since I'm in the lower end price range anyway) I should just go with the 50x4 and fade towards the front. I found a PG Octane R5.0:4 on eBay for $120 shipped. Looks like a good amp, but I can't find anything about it using the search on the forum. Thoughts? Better than AudioBahn A4004T?

And shelpie, I did go to several stores to listen to speakers and the Pioneers sounded the best compared to anything else in the price range. I mean for like $100 for all 4 I really can't complain.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Ok I lied, I do have one more question. Will my music actually sound better playing from an amp than from the head unit (Pioneer DEH-P3700MP) ? or will it just get louder without distorting? Or both?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us