What Causes a Subwoofer to pop?

Bronze Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 34
I have a 2 channel amp bridged 880 RMS going to 2 subs rated at 700 RMS each. When i have the volume up really loud and i am right near one of the subwoofers, it makes a popping noise like when the peak of the bass hits. Like its only for that split second, but it happens everytime the beat recycles in the song. It sounds like its hurting the sub.

And the sub that Pops also seems like it is moving more than the other one... is that possible?

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 812
your sub is most likely bottoming out by the voice coil or the spider hitting the motor

Bronze Member
Username: Gavbo211

US

Post Number: 64
Turn your gains down. Usually when subs pop u have ur gains set to high try turning them down until the noise goes away and then leave them there. Im no pro but just give it a try i had the same problem once and that fixed it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
"bottoming out by the voice coil or the spider hitting the motor" why would it do that if i'm underpowering them so much?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
will it hurt my subwoofer if i leave it how it is and it pops like that? cuz if i turn my gains down i will loose bass

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 813
what kind of subs and amp do you have? if you're driving your subs with an amp that under powers them and you run them to distortion you run the risk of blowing the amp or sub or both

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 809
Mike,

For Gods sakes eek,

Get a (RTA) to monitor the frequency response and the range too and maybe an audio limiter compressor inline with the sub bass extension unit, and calibrate it for the highest peak level, without distortion or the popping sound as well.

And with that in mind there should be no more problems.

Also it would be the lowest musical note or notes at around 20Hz 30Hz 40Hz, or wait a second, what type of music are you playing the artist or composer, I have no idea what type?

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 810
Mike

Loose bass, disconnect the whole sound chain and start again, to see where the funny lies, and for Gods sakes get an audio limiter compressor it wont do any harm.

Silver Member
Username: Dz43893

Chicago, Illinois United states

Post Number: 249
Who is Mike Jones?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us