2 typeR or 1 typeX

robert d r d r d
Unregistered guest
should i get 2 12" typeR's or 1 TypeX ?
and does lower ohm effect the sound quality ?

Silver Member
Username: Letto

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 188
usually not too noticable, but yes, lower ohms will usually have worse SQ, but more SPL.

Silver Member
Username: Letto

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 189
The type R/type X depends on what you're looking for.

robert d r d r d
Unregistered guest
sq but i still want some nice thump

helpin out
Unregistered guest
Type R's if your looking for that^

robert d r d r d
Unregistered guest
i been kindof leaning toward spl now but i still want a nice sound quality i was thinking of these

Alpine Type-X ... 12" ---- 1000 rms - 230$
Kicker SL7 ... 15" ---- 1000 rms - 200$
Audiobahn Immortal ... 10" --- 1500 rms - 160$ (will thump as hard as both above?)

has anyone heard the immortals? are they good ? or does everyone just assume there bad cause its audiobahn
or any other spl subs i should get for 150$ - 250$

robert d r d r d
Unregistered guest
i been kindof leaning toward spl now but i still want a nice sound quality i was thinking of these

Alpine Type-X ... 12" ---- 1000 rms - 230$
Kicker SL7 ... 15" ---- 1000 rms - 200$
Audiobahn Immortal ... 10" --- 1500 rms - 160$ (will thump as hard as both above?)

has anyone heard the immortals? are they good ? or does everyone just assume there bad cause its audiobahn
or any other spl subs i should get for 150$ - 250$

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 631
type X will hit pretty hard .. have slightly better sq than the r's.. cant say about the immortals the l7 will obviously stomp the alpines in spl but sound like shite in the process

Bronze Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 33
when you guys say SPL and SQ, SPL is basically how loud the bass is, (the more SPL, the more you "feel" the bass) correct? And SQ is sound quality, meaning like with a song that has like a tight, quick bass beat....it will sound better right?

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 141
yea your right MJ

robert d r d r d
Unregistered guest
do the 15" l7's really sound like crap ?

Bronze Member
Username: Mrmbq

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 17
In my opinion, yes, the 15 inch L7 does sound like "crap". Taking that into account, plus the reliability issues with them, they are not a wise choice for a sub. There are much better choices out there.

Bronze Member
Username: Shawn_4

B-Town, Texas

Post Number: 23
How good is Alpine? Are they a top brand and what if the l7 comes with a warranty? Would it be a better buy for the money and spl?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
alpine is pretty top-notch you can't go wrong with Type R's or Type X's if they are used with the correct amp. Type X's are comparable to a JL W7. Obviously not as good, but comparable. Both of these alpines are better in SQ than the L7, and the L7 is far better SPL than the type R's. But i would take a 12" type x over a 15' L7 any day of the week.

Bronze Member
Username: Shawn_4

B-Town, Texas

Post Number: 25
What would you say is a good amp to power the type x?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
1 12" type x? JL 1000/1 kicker SX1250.1 KX1200.1 Alpine MRD-M1005 to name a few.

Silver Member
Username: Rob315

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 573
mike jones- first your not even sure if you know what SQ/SPL is....now you say the type x is comparable to a w7...NO...not as good but comparable....NO not even close. and i also wouldnt say that the L7's have far better SPL than the type r's. and it the type r's also get louder than the type x. type r = SPL/SQ
type x = SQ.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
basically anything buy Eclipse, alpine, kicker, MTX, JL, JBL, infinity, xtant that is 1000-1250 watts RMS either mono amp or bridged. those are some of the best brands for amps, obviously some are more expensive than others, but my buddy got a JL 1000/1 for around $450

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
there is no way type R's have more SPL than Type X. i would 1 12" type x over 2 12" type r's any day

Silver Member

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 575
lol...i guarantee you that the type r's have more SPL than the type x. 1 type r 12" will get louder than 1 12" type x....2 12" type r's...lol....will f*ckin SMOKE a 12" type x....atleast know what your talking about before you go running your c*ck holster :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
how do u figure 1 R will be louder than 1 X if the type X has double the RMS wattage?

Silver Member

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 576
wtf does RMS have to do with it? you dont think that the type r will take 1000 watts RMS?..ill get you the link to where they are running 2 EDnine.1's strapped to 1 10" type r and hit 148.7 (148.something) i think.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrmbq

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 18
"Type X's are comparable to a JL W7. Obviously not as good, but comparable"

Alpine makes some good subwoofers, but not THAT good. On the other hand, Alpine makes excellent head units and signal processors. The JL Audio W7 is an excellent subwoofer and no Alpine sub is comparable in quality. The Alpine Type X and the JL Audio W7 arn't even in the same class.

Silver Member

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 577
^^what he said

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
okay, but for the price the Type X is better than the JL. I'll pay $260 for one X as opposed to over $450 for the W7

Silver Member

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 578
for the price .....yes

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 634
accually the type x will get much louder than the type r's.. considering i used both in the same enclosure same vehicle.. i can vouch for it.. i used the mrd 10001 on 2 type r's and then on 1 type x and the x hit just as hard imo.. and its technically down 3 db because lack of the second cone.. rob how long to u think that type r will live with that much power going to it? yes the new type r's can take some power but there not bullet proof .. if herd a few cases of people blowing them with 800 watts .. when it comes down to it the Type x is just a better sub than the R -( not to say that they arent good because that are great as well) Sq wise and for spl,, however the 15" r will destroy the x in spl obviously.. so personally after using both, i to would take 1 type X over 2 Type r's as well

Silver Member
Username: Mike_anthes

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 260
yea rob...i don't know what yur talkin bout the type x is made for spl..and the rs are for sql...

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 172
yea Rob your tripping...a single Type X will get louder than a single Type R, now 2 Type Rs against one Type X will all depend on what kind of boxes they are in...and in Alpines mind they probably do consider the Type X as the W7s competition but we all know that isnt true...in terms of prce and performance i would put the type X with the W6,8500,SX,and other slightly below top level subs...Alpine has yet to make a top level "superwoofer" as some call them

i know that no one really ased that question but i just wanted to end this thread

Silver Member
Username: Mike_anthes

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 265
just lettin ya know a 15" sx can get much louder than a 13w7...people say the 13w7 and 15" xxx are in the same class spl wise and the sx gets louder than the xxx...so the sx is a better spl sub than the 13w7 and about half the price!!

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 549
it should get louder...its meant more for spl than sq and its also got more surface area...which means more air movement with the sx...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us