Gain Setting. Experts Only

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1982
If the HU has a 8V preout and my amp is 4volt and a ppi 300.2 what whould be considered a good setting on the gain. Right now its a bit more then half way. Should i lower it to maybe half way or what ? Dont have a tool to measure so i will have to set it according to ear and whatever you guys have experience with. I figure it whould be ok at half way or lower but wanted to get some ideas.

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 131
i probably wouldnt put it higher than 1/2 way since you HU puts out that much...also you should just listen to it by ear thats always the best way to adjust it

PS: you have an Eclipse head unit dont you?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9198
well 8 volts is at full volume, so below that you're at a lower voltage
if you don't go more than half volume on the head unit, you should be able to set gain on the amp at minimum and get about 4 volts at half volume from the ehad unit.
if you're set at half gain, I'd guess that's about 3 volts if your range is 2 to 4 volts, so even at 3 volts, you'd get close to half volume at the head unit without any clipping

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1983
Yeah i set it to half way and it sounds much better. Before my chamoleon componant sounded way to loud and harsh and now it sounds much more natural and smooth. Yes i have a Eclipse CD8454 and i have the crossover for my mids at a 12db slope at 100hz and my subwoofer at a 18db slope at 80hz and it sounds great so far.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us