Alpine MRV-F340 going into protection mode

Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 9
hi there, i have this set-up....

Chevy Camaro Coupe

Jensen VM9410 Head-unit 7" Screen w/ built-in DVD player
6.5" Infinity in front
6.5" Alpine in back
Alpine MRV-F340 4 Channel Amp (for the speakers)
2 12" Power Acoustik FUBR-12
1 Power Acoustik 1920 Plasma Sphere Amp (880 RMS bridged) (for subs)
Tsunami 1.2 Farad Power Capacitor.

i recently had the jensen headunit (new) installed about a 7 days ago from a professional car audio installer, in replace of an older alpine deck, (no dvd or screen). For the first 3-4 days everything worked fine. Over the past 2 days, however, i would have the system up about 2/3 and all of a sudden my highs cut out and all you could hear was the subs.

And like the highs would come in for like 1/2 second every ten seconds and keep cutting out. So i first thought that there was possibly a loose connection in the back of the new jensen HU. I then fooled around with the volume some more and realized that below volume 11 (it goes to 40) Everything would work fine, but above that the highs would cut out. I then opened my hatch and noticed that the alpine amp that powers the Highs was goin into protect mode (red light). I have no idea why it would do this. My friend suggested that i may need a more powerful alternator, and that the amp is shorting out becuz i now have the Jensen HU with the Screen, but that seemed unlikely to me.

I fooled around with the gain on the alpine amp and when i put it all the way down, I can turn the volume all the was up on the HU, and its not anywhere as loud as my highs had been. When i increase the gain, the amp shuts off. Whats the deal?

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 347
It sounds like a wire that goes to your speakers from the amps outputs maybe making contact with the body of your car. I recently had the same problem, it was headache because you have to do alot of tracing. Good luck

Bronze Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 11
could that randomly happen? i have had the system for 10 months and thats never happened? although i did notice about 1-2 months after i got the system the passeneger's side door speaker worked sometimes, and didn't work other times.

I haven't had a problem with that though in the past 3-4 months. Could those be related in any way? I believe the guys who installed my new HU didn't touch the alpine amp, or speakers at all, and just basically took out my old HU, and put this one in, connecting all the wires...

It sounds to me that you think that the fact i just got a new HU and that this is happening with my alpine amp is just a coincidence...right?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us