RE vs. SoloX vs. W7 - which is the best bar none?

JAMARSAE
Unregistered guest
I want the best of the subs that are out there and I want everyone to knowledgeably respond to this because I am tired of trying to think of which are the best subs to get. When you do, keep in mind that I am looking for SPL, Loud and deep !!! bass, and sound quality.-- THE WHOLE NINE YARDS!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9162
simple answer?
there isn't one sub that's better tahn everything else, at everything.
you get best for SQ, best for SPL, or best balance of both (SQL).

If you want SQL, the RE XXX is the best of the three named above, but it's not presently available.

W7 is SQL. SoloX is purely for SPL but there are far far better SPL subs on the market like the DD 9500.

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 432
probaly the re xxx or sx for a good mix of spl and sq, i think the kicker would win in just spl but would sound like sh!t, and the w7 is just to damn expensive.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9164
the RE MT is better suited to pure SPL, if you're looking at RE. Built a lot better tahn that solobaric, too.

Bronze Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 78
dont forget the Eclipse Ti sounds really good and gets plenty loud in a ported box...theirs also the 9500 that mofo gets plenty loud although the SQ is average

Runit
Unregistered guest
Does everyone keep talkin' about the 88 series titaniums from eclipse? They're not THAT loud...they're ok sounding subs, but not that loud. Car Audio mag did a test with 4 high-end subs and I'm pretty sure the eclipse had the lowest SPL of the bunch. I've had everything from 6" to 15"'s, from a single sub up to eight subs, from all the major brands(RF, JL, JBL, Eclipse, MB Quart, MTX and so on) in many different enclosures.....it doesn't really matter that much what sub you get. Get a set of good mids and highs that play low into the midbass. It will take all the focus off the rear of the vehicles. ;)
Right now, I have a single MTX 8512 in a small sealed box and I really like it. It has pretty good sound quality and gets loud enough for the music I listen to now(industrial metal, rock, etc...) I should tell you this, my fav. set up so far was back when I had the (8) JL 6W0's in a sealed enclosure(4x2 @ .75ft.^3 each side). They were the cheapest subs JL made, had the shortest XMAX in the line, but I had enough of them to trick people into thinkin' I had a pair of 12's in my hatch! After that, I had a single JL 10W7 in a ported enclosure. Played a little louder at lower freq., but wasn't as much fun as seein' the look on kids face when I open the hatch to show an enclosure that was only 1.5 cu.ft., 4"deep..hatch looked empty......then I pull the grill off and have 8 subs starin' you in the face! Good stuff....but it gets old fast and you have to switch up. I've been in a new-every-6 mo. rotation. But then again, thats my job.

Username: Chrisk

Post Number: 2
RE IMO is one of the best manufacturers in the world and they dont try and high buck you at all. I dont know of a single person who hasnt been happy with one of their products, i know i am. Like everyone else said, the SoloX will sound like azz, the W7 is SQL but it is way overpriced(the W6 is a better buy IMO).

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 690
car audio did three tests. one was low end, mid level, and high end. the only four high-end subs tested were DD, ID, W6, and an RF.
the TI is in the same calibur as the above stated and gets comparably loud, low, and full. the only review that i am personally aware of regarding the TI was the previous series http://www.canze.org.nz/reviews/index.cfm?product_ID=1116 . but regardless, by the time you notice a difference in spl between any of the sql's, you are pretty much into the deafening, spl comp stages. i.e., the difference is arguably negligable.

Post Number: 6
Good post mike, but there are some people that listen to "deafening" music all the time that might disagree. lol.

Bronze Member
Username: Zero43

Kyle, TX USA

Post Number: 95
Another sub test thread
check it out
http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?p=162855#post162855

Silver Member
Username: Subzer0

Richmond, KY USA

Post Number: 712
hey glass you have 2 12" xxx subs don't ya ^_^.....

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 693
yeah, i am just about as aggressive as they come when it comes to volume levels. but when my eardrums started to ache and cause agony, i opened the windows and/or decrease volume (usually too late by that time anyway). that was just 3 12"jl w3 originals. All the SQl subs will do this with ease with the proper power and enclosure.
although i'm still quite aggressive, i've matured since then. imo, it's a matter of how musical subs play at low and high volumes and how full, smooth and enveloping they are at low/high volumes. again, they'll all get loud.

Bronze Member
Username: Cucu

Post Number: 11
Hey mikechec9 my good buddy how are you doing this wonderful evening.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Hey Justin, apparenty cucu is the one that got all of us banned. Maybe we should all swamp the mods with requests to get him banned. lol.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9178
yes I have two RE XXX 12" in an AP box.
my goal was SQ/SQL though.. not SPL in any form

Silver Member
Username: Subzer0

Richmond, KY USA

Post Number: 720
glass if you ever want to sell them I got dibs ok :-)?

Unregistered guest
I thing the Powerbass Extreme 15" is a better sub than both of the ones that your talking about. I have eight of them and 4 powerbass 3000d's in my crx ,and It's something to talk about. I'm hittin' 171.5's proudly!

banginasscrx
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have anything that would be better than the sh*t that I already have because I'm thinking about stripping the whole car and starting all over because I've had the powerbase woofers in there for the last year.

Bronze Member
Username: Cnafets

Post Number: 78
1. Thats bs.
2. It's bs.
3. 100% bs.

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 349
please just ignore this guy's post:-)

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 715
"Another sub test thread
check it out
http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?p=162855#post162855"

excellent link ron. thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
nice link mikechec ive been looking for something like this for a while

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
actually i take it back those guys are dumb@$$es
1st they say that the IDMAX doesnt sound as good as the W7 that sh!t is biased and the complete disrespect...the SoloX sounds better than the MTX 9500? that is so much bullsh!t it just pissed me off how these people continue to bash the 9500 i mean i know that it probably doesnt sound better than the rest of the subwoofers on that list but to say that it sounds worst than the SoloX is so much ignorance

Silver Member
Username: Chrisklein

Post Number: 119
Quick, i would have to disagree, most people would have to agree with the fact that the IDMAX is the best SQ sub that you can get. I would have to say that the 9500 would have much better SQ then the SoloX though. So we do agree on one of the things.

That is actually the only review i have ever seen my TDX(D9) and it is completely deserving of what they said.

Anonymous

How close is the W7 and IDMAX in SQ? Impossible to answer? Any tests done with the same size, amp, and everything? Or is it just personal preference?

Silver Member

Kyle, TX USA

Post Number: 103
I recently downloaded test tones to play on my deck. The 9500 doesnt sound that bad I just think it was made to be run with a full MTX setup so basically where one component is lacking the outher picks up for it. It sounds great to me on the low end but when it gets to dynamic passages on higher frequencys its a little lacking.

What Im starting to get from reading and listening to people is that most of these companies make their products with certain agendas in mind.

To tell you the truth the test tracks they used didnt reflect every type of listener... most of those songs arent even true bass tracks.
I think I understand why they rated the 9500 like they did. Its for the same reason why I am looking for good midbass driver.

They may have rated the 9500 lower due to the mechanical noise.. Thats really my only explanation.

I really do think MTX intended the 9500 to be for select group of listeners

Silver Member

Kyle, TX USA

Post Number: 108
check out this link it list all the companies they tried to get drivers for as well as the procedures they took
http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13843

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
Chris..that is what i said...i said that the IDMAX sounds better than the W7 but they didnt rank it that high

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4419
You're still depending on somebody else's ears to do the testing for you. Don't go by it. They also didn't specify the specs of the enclosures used for any of the subwoofers. It's a good general guideline, but a poor tool to make a concrete decision on.

Silver Member

Kyle, TX USA

Post Number: 109
"Subwoofer Amplifier : NINe.1. 1200x1 @ 1ohm.
This was selected becuase all of these subwoofers were designed for high power input and a 1000-1500 watt amplifier is ideal for most everyone for these applications. We also want to keep power input consistent throughout testing for listening tests"

Quote from the testing procedures of those subs.
Could explain some things about the listening test

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4422
The reviews were a page list of patents and feature specs, and a short two sentence paragraph stating the woofer had no mechanical noise to x amount of excursion. No description of the actual sound, just "hey, it doesn't hit the top plate when driven to the MAXX!!!!". Not a good SQ evaluation IMO.

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
their noobs it seemed more like a marketing gimmick to me...they sayed nothing about the subwoofers performance it seems like whatever company paid the most money thats who won cough JL cough

Silver Member

Kyle, TX USA

Post Number: 110
Jon they actually do list the specs used you just have to go to other parts of the forum where they are talking about it.

All box specs were manufacture supplied and kicker was the only one who sent their own box...
All the others were custom made

All subs were powered using the same amps which i think they shouldnt have done. I think they shouldve gotten the same type of amp just with higher or lower power ratings

And about the listening comment how many people have the resources or the time witness\do a test like this. This is as close as any of us can get to a controled comparison such as this sure it wasnt perfect but it was the first time it was done (BTW it was supposed to be a simple evaluation). They said the next one they do will include more info.

for more insight
http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15791

Some of you guys on here should attempt one one of these caomparison on a more detailed and wider scale

Silver Member

Kyle, TX USA

Post Number: 111
Who knows...
The guys from elemental designs are the ones who did the testing though.
there are still variables to consider but maybe the manufacturers didnt give them the "best" box specs or maybe it was the power delivery.

I doubt most of those subs were performing their optimum levels. But still at least there is some data somewhere and nt just opinions floating around
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us