Can I run amp without head unit?

Username: Myownworld

Post Number: 1
At this point, I have gotten 4 head units stolen out of my car within the last year... even with the faces taken off. So, I was going to try and use my Ipod as the main source running the output directly to the RCA leads from my amp. My question is, will than work, and if yes, what can I run the remote wire from the amp to?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9042
better solution:
buy a car alarm.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9043
better solution:
buy a car alarm.

Username: Myownworld

Post Number: 2
I agree, and alarm would be a good solution. But I live in the city and park on the street, therefore alarm isn't an option. Cars get bumped constantly and cars with alarms generally get thier windows broken or something for keeping everyone awake.

I can't imagine that this would be very difficult. A simple stereo 1/8" to RCA adapter would allow me to run the signal. I just don't know how to run the remote from the amp. Wait, Could I put my stock radio back in, run the remote wire from that but run the RCA's to the IPOD? Is there an easier way? I'm sure someone has tried this before...

Bronze Member
Username: Acevolkov

Springfield, Missouri United Stated

Post Number: 87
get a switch that is inline with your battery and your amp, given that the REM votage is 12 volt. you dont have to run the wire all the way to the battery, just the yellow wire behind your old cd player.(make sure that the yellow wire is the powerwire for your hu).when you want your amp on, turn it on. when you want it off, turn it off, just dont forget to turn it off when you get out.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3822
Get a dead snake and put it in the back seat. Better than a car alarm.

Silver Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 138
Just get a wireless camera for your car and a high powered rifle.
Than kill the welfare scum!

Notice:Not intended for any of my white trash welfare friends!

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9050
yeah you're only allowed to wound his friends.. not kill them

you'd want to connect the amp's remote trigger to an ignition/switched 12 volt line.
you'll want some sort of pre-amp with a master volume control and line driver as well to connect that ipod to if you want decent SQ

Bronze Member
Username: Shadow1290

Fayetteville, GA USA

Post Number: 88
a 9-volt battery grounded to the frame of the car will power the remote to

buy the way try a fancy new way of putting in a HU like having it custom mounted in the glove comparpment or something that way it' dosent appear as you even have a system

also make sure and put some crappy stereo from like a junkyard in there so people DO NOT want to steal you HU

I really like the glovebox idea + that would be awesome looking and make you audio system that much more impressive

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9066
eh a 9 volt? the trigger signal is 12VDC, not 9
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us