Strapping 2 brutus amps together

Bronze Member
Username: Acevolkov

Springfield, Missouri United Stated

Post Number: 86
i have a DVC MT and i want to get two hifonics Brutus 1605D amps and i was wondering that if i strapped these amps together, and turned one off, (so only one was working), would that do any damage to my sub/off amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 80
Strapped together? Hmmm...as in, had both working together? Or each one on one of the voice coils? If you're talking one amp to each voice coil, then yes, turning the other off could very easily destroy your sub, as powering only one VC in a DVC sub will damage it quickly.

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 674
f**k yea youll mess up that sub if you have one voice coil powered and the other 1 not powered...dont even attempt it out of curiosity your going to regret it

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9091
you can drive a sub with one coil and not damage it, but when the amplifiers are strapped, you're inverting the signal of one amplifier so that the pair of mono amp channels are acting like one giant bridged stereo amp.
If you do this and connect a sub to the amps, then disable one amplifier, you'll send half of the sine wave to the sub, and nothing on the other half of the sweep.. so yeah that'd kill the speaker just like if the amplifier was clipping.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us