Please Help ASAP...Amplifier Built in Crossover

unregistered
Unregistered guest
Ok my amp has a freq. response of like 10Hz - 50kHz.

My amp has a built in crossover with 40Hz - 6kHz ranges. Now from what im learning about crossovers is that they cut off freq above the crossover point.. does that mean that at its highest setting my amp will play no higher than 6kHz?

Human hearing is audible up to 20kHz so i dont understand this concept and why only 6kHz.. if im missing something please help me.

Additional info from the specs that maybe useful in helping me... ( LPF,FULL,HPF switch and filter slopes are 18dB )

Please help im trying to purchase my system this weekend and need the info.

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 337
A crossover is a filter. It is used to block some frequencies while allowing others to pass with little or no effect. An electronic crossover is a set of active filters which pass/reject part of the audio band. The crossover point is determined by changing the value of resistors and/or capacitors in the active filter circuit. A high pass crossover will allow frequencies above a predetermined point to pass. The frequencies below the crossover point will rolloff at a rate determined by the crossover's design. A low pass crossover would let low frequencies pass while reducing the level of the high frequency part of the signal. The signal from the head unit feeds the crossover. The signal leaving the crossover goes to an amplifier. If the high pass output is connected to an amplifier, that amplifier would be connected to smaller speakers which may include tweeters. A low pass xover would drive an amp connected to larger speakers, including woofers.
The whole article is here http://www.bcae1.com/elecxovr.htm

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 338
To answer your ques.
My amp has a built in crossover with 40Hz - 6kHz ranges. Now from what im learning about crossovers is that they cut off freq above the crossover point.. does that mean that at its highest setting my amp will play no higher than 6kHz?

No, 6khz is the highest setting for the highpass filter. This means your speakers won't play any lower than 6khz. If you use the lowpass filter at 6khz, your speakers won't play anything above 6khz. The full setting ignores the crossover and plays all the frequencies.
LPF- lowpass filter
HPF- highpass filter
Full- fullrange

unregistered
Unregistered guest
one last question on this.. before i finalize my system..

do i have any problems when using the built in crossovers on the amplifiers with the lined out signal?

And would there be any preference to which amp passes signal to the other amp... bass to mid/high or mid/high to bass amp?

i only got 1 preout on my deck and 1 preout on my eq... so i will be running 1 rca to either the bass amp or mid/high amp and using the amplifier to input the other with line out. If using one as a LP and the other as a HP is the lined out signal affected at all by what i have the built in crossovers set at?

Bronze Member
Username: Firlefanz

Post Number: 45
No, the line outs should only bypass the complete unfiltered signal.

Just to make sure, you are not talking about to use the speaker outputs to connect the amps (=no no)?.

What you talk about is use one amp as master and the others as slaves. Dont know if youll encounter timecorrection problems.

Ever considered Y- adaptors to split the one rca cable?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us