Can i put 2 Alternators in my truck!!!

Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3
i have one 100A alt. in my truck now and a JBL bp600.1 amp

i want to get anothern JBL 600.1 buy that would be like 120A of draw!!!

i have a second 100A alt that i could add to the truck, but where can i get a mouting bracket to put a second one in??? i have a 98 chevy silverado ext cab w/ a 4.3 v6.

can a by a bracket to mount the second alt and get a matching belt, or will it have to be a custom job???

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1613
go to a starter and alternator shop. they'll have to fabricate mounting brackets for you and custom fit a new belt.

other option is to sell the two 100A alternators and get something in teh 270A range that'll handle all you want and then some.

Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 6
well the one in my truck is brand new and the extra one has bad barrings...going to get it rebuilt...bout $35 for it

would it cost more to get the bracket fabricated to have 2 alts? or to just get one alt that is about 200A???(in can get a 200A for bout $240)

and what would work better???

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1619
you'll need to price that.. I don't know for your area.
try eBay and mralternator.com for a rebuilt alternator, and see if that one you have with the bad bearings can be rewound to a higher output by the local shop too.
see which of these options is your cheapest solution to get the current ya need.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us