Bridging 4ch amp to power components.

unregistered
Unregistered guest
i only get 4x50 @ 4ohm but would get 2x150rms @ 4ohm bridged.. i have 2-way components.. so i can either run them active with 50rms going to each the tweeter and the midbass or i can bridge and send 150rms to a passive crossover..

The only problem i see is that i loose dedicated front left/right and rear left/right channels.. all i would have is a front and a rear. Does this affect sound stage any? is this just a factor in surround sound setups? or will i notice an audible difference?

Bronze Member
Username: Kyle_allen

Post Number: 15
I am curious about this as well. I just don't think my components sound loud enough. I'm pushing 100 watts, but i think I need about 150 to make it sound adequate. Maybe glass could give some advise on this one. I'm sure it is possible, but I'm unsure as to what the consequences would be, other than losing the left and right adjustments. My infinity kappa perfects just don't seem loud enough. Maybe i'm just going deaf. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 370
no, there will be no difference. Music is recorded in stereo, or 2 channels. The back speakers get the exact same signal as the front. Rather than bridging the amp, why don't you consider bi-amping the components.

unregistered
Unregistered guest
how would i do that and what would be the advantage..

and stereo = 2 channels yes.. but doesnt it equal a left and a right and not a front and a rear.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 372
yes, thats exactly what I said. Left and right is stereo and "back speakers get the exact same signal as the front." If you were going to bi-amp, the best option would be to design your own crossovers if the stock crossovers don't allow this option. That may be a little more effort than you're willing to put in, but its the best option. If you'd be willing to actually consider doing this, I'll explain how you should go about doing it.

Bronze Member
Username: Angus_nb

Post Number: 11
Bi-amp and Active is basically the same thing.

You can use four RCAs from your HU to the amp then connect the front channels to the tweeters and the rear channels to the mids. This would allow you to balance the left and right channels and fade between the mids and tweeters. If your HU has a good enough built in xover this would work well.

unregistered
Unregistered guest
my HU has only one preout which runs into a EQ/Preamp... and runs into my bass amp and line out to my 2ch.

What would happen if i run my speakers active and add another 2ch amp (inputing signal from line out) to power the tweeters? Is that going to mess with staging or SQ?

Would running the one preout to the EQ to a crossover and then run seperate RCAs to each amp a better option? (if so please explain as this would incur additional expense on x-over and additional RCA cables)

Thank you.

Bronze Member
Username: Kyle_allen

Post Number: 16
What about for external crossovers such as component speakers. Could you perform a similar setup with them. Can you explain a little further in detail. I only have one line in on each crossover for my amp. Do I just run two lines in? Thanks,
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us