Box help!

Bronze Member
Username: Qcsfinest

Post Number: 50
i Am trying to come up with the dimensions for a slot ported enclosure for 2 12" w6v2's. They will be going in a 1997 Grand cherokee with the spare tire in the trunk. I really want these to QUAKE. I've had a box with 2 12's with the slot port in the middle b4 so i know it should fit. Any Ideas?

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 847
give me 5 bux and il give u a design

Silver Member

Post Number: 848
that is a great price trust me

Bronze Member
Username: 02gsxr

Post Number: 22
Compuluva get lost, nobody wants you here. People in the sport of competing or car stereo help each other out. I'm sure someone had to help you when you got started with it, you didn't just learn everything on your own. Lol, if you're tryin to charge $5 you probably don't even know what you are doing, and posting messages saying "that's a great price, trust me" doesn't look to professional. Get a real job, what are trying to do? Trying to pay off Term Pro now that you realize you don't know how to use it?

Qcsfinest...

Get me your T/S specs such as Vas, Qts, Qes, Qms, etc. and I will design one for free for you. Also, tell me what you are trying to do (SPL, SQ, SQL) and whether you plan on competing or if it is for your own use. Also get me the largest disired dimensions for your car. Thanks...

Silver Member

Post Number: 851
well um yes i did learn everything on my own buddy...i studied day in and day out for a year, 2-3 hours a day and i learned all i need 2 know.
Now, ive been on this board way longer than u have and ppl never had a prob with me yet. So as u can c im staying.

"Get me your T/S specs such as Vas, Qts, Qes, Qms, etc. and I will design one for free for you. Also, tell me what you are trying to do (SPL, SQ, SQL) and whether you plan on competing or if it is for your own use. Also get me the largest disired dimensions for your car. Thanks.."

And to help you a bit, il point out where it says what he wants..." I really want these to QUAKE"

So its ur choice...5 bux for a detailed drawing or other...

Silver Member

Post Number: 852
not 2 mention that i could have been outside training for football while i was studying but i stayed in hoping to learn the stuff i do now and ive lost 2 friends cause of me not wanting 2 go outside because i was studying something i love and i want to persue when i get older.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1316
Jon, that's a bit too harsh and would be classified as flaming. I think you might want to tone your opinions down before you post them...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
I want alot of Spl but it has to sound good. Its just for everyday use. I know for sure i can fit 32 inches (my old system and box). i wouldnt be able to tell you the most until i get home from work.
-Thanks for your help

-Free Air Resonance (Fs): Hz 25.0
-Electrical "Q" (Qes): 0.480
-Mechanical "Q" (Qms): 7.100
-Total Speaker "Q" (Qts): 0.450
-Equiv. Compliance (Vas): 2.82 ft3
-Mounting Depth: 7.6 in
-Mounting Hole Diameter: 11.0 in
-Driver Displacement: 0.090 ft3

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Right let me get right on that! Anyway, I don't think it's really fair for people to come to a FREE forum to ask some people for help and have someone posting on everyone's thread that they will do it for $5. The guy wants some free advise, that's what we are here for. LOL I'm sorry, did I hurt someone's feelings? I didn't think that was too harsh.

So you've been doing this for only a year? I've been doing this professionally for over 10 years now. So hmmm lets see, who would you like to design your box?

Lol, you can't learn EVERYTHING there is to know in a year, you can't know it all in 10 years! There is far more to learn than I think you could imagine!

What do you mean by giving them a detailed drawing? What is more detailed than box dimensions, port dimensions, size to cut each board, and a transfer function plot??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Back to the subject...

Qcsfinest, I'll be back a little later from work and put something together for you if you like. Let me know if you'd like me to do so, and get me the mechanical properties of the sub if you can. Otherwise I'll check with JL and see if they have them.

BTW, what are the height and depth dimensions you'd like to use?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Not really sure, Im new at this to. I use to just get 2 12's and a box and call it a day. But since im about to spend 900 for a Jl 1000/1 and 2 w6v2's (used, but still alot of money to me) i want to do it right.

Jon, whatever you recommend is find with me. i just want alot of spl and good sound quality for my everyday use.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
What kind of music will you be listening to for the most part?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Rap. Love deep low bass!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
can anybody else help me with dimensions for my box?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Honestly, JL's recommendations for a good low frequency box is actually pretty close. You will gain a little more with a slightly bigger box though.

What I came up with is a 3.75ft^3 box tuned to 32hz. This will give you the exact same response, but give you a 3db boost and extend the playable bass range another 4hz. The port is quite large which will yield a bigger SPL boost and no chance of a problem with port velocity (port noise). This design will have a very smooth response with very high SPL gains, as well as a very safe design. it is tuned low enough that you will not really have to worry about harming the woofer itself.

The box dimensions would be:

4.58ft^3
tuning freq. 32hz
port dim. 3" x 14.5"
port length 23.5"

W 32" x D 19.75" x H 16"
Port: H 14.5" x W 3" x L 23.5"

(2) front/back: 32" x 16"
(2) top/bottom: 32" x 18.25"
(2) sides: 18.25" x 14.5"
(1) port #1: 14.5" x 15.25"
(1) port #2: 14.5" x 3.75"

You should be very happy with this box, please make sure to send me a private message letting me know how it works out. Thanks!

Click below for Transfer Function Plot / Enclosure Diagram

Click Here for Plot

Click Here for Box Diagram

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 144
Hey Jon, what would be the best box for some basic rockford P1'S ? its going into the back of a 1997 GMC Jimmy and I would like it have a nice look to it as well. Let me know if you got any ideas or send me a message.
thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
No problem. I have already sent you a private message. Please respond with as much detail as you can. Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Thanks jon for all of your help. I have been readin everthing on the internet about buildin boxes and putting carpet on them, so i can build my own. So it might take me a while (gonna be atleast one F-up for a first timer).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Also, ive heard it is recommended that you use double thickness on the front what do you think, and how will that modify the box if its not already included.

"use a double-thickness of MDF for the front panel (this method is recommended -- it provides an extremely strong, non-resonant mounting surface for the sub). Also, the double thickness will serve to strengthen the box as a whole."

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 145
hey, jon i'm trying to send you a private message but it says you don't accept them. I'll get the answers to those questions soon, thanks for your time
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us