Sub mounted magnet out??

Bronze Member
Username: Kujo

Post Number: 19
I've seen this done before but dont understand how it works? Do you wire it differently? Does it only work on certain subs? Also is there even a difference in sound? It loooks coool n if its easy/actually sounds good then I would like to hook my subs up like that.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3387
It's called inverting. There is no difference in sound. With the sub's motor mounted outside the box, there is actually a little more internal volume, since driver displacement is no longer there, but the change in box volume shouldn't be enough to be audible. Usually, when you invert a sub you reverse the polarity, wiring the positive where the negative goes, and vise versa...

Silver Member
Username: Mike_anthes

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 224
ah didn't know that...lol...(neg to pos switch)...would it hurt the speaker...ive never tryed it but just info that i may want to know someday

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 960
No it wouldn't hurt the speaker.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3755
no it wont hurt your speaker but it makes it might easy for other objects in your car or trunk to impaile through it:-)

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3388
Easier to impale through it? What do you meen james, when it's inverted the magnet is out, I'd think it would be harder to hurt it. You can easily poke a hole in the cone, but the back plate and the magnet are gonna be a lot stronger. It is gonna take up more room, and that meens there's just that much more sub sticking out for you to accidentally hit :-) Maybe that's what Old Man Longo was talking about...

Silver Member

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 226
maybe you guys misunderstood me...would it hurt the speaker if i wired the pos and neg backwards...thats what i meant...and i read my post and i couldn't really understand what i meant...sry

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3391
No. Reversing the polarity causes a 180 degree phase shift. Cancellation is the worst that could happen.

Silver Member

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 227
ok thanks...

Silver Member

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 228
oh......so on an amp when you see a 180 phase shift thing it has something to do with that...ok...could someone explain how that maybe related...

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3392
Same thing theroetically, when you see it on things such as a headunit and even some amps, it's usually a reverse in the signal.

Silver Member

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 229
ok thanks...

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3757
yeah but when the speaker is mounted normally they make covers for them, when they are inverted it is uncovered,Sticking way out,= much easier to injure:-) yeah and old man Longo is past his bedtime:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us