Pro audio stuff in cars...high sens=more spl?

proincar
Unregistered guest
hey im wondering...if anybody has tryed buying a pro audio sub and putting it in their car...i am kinda tempted...most pro audio subs have sensitivity ratings over 100db...and can handle a huge a mount of power...the sub im looking at in particular is this...
http://store.steelsound.com/Detail.bok?no=448
my buddy has 4 of these and they pound for pro...i was just wondering if anybody has tryed putting them in a car...and how it would sound...

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 954
lookin pretty crappy if you ask me.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3381
Sensitivity ratings don't meen much when your talking about anything over 100 wrms.

BTW, that sub is really meant for a bass amp, or stack. Makes since being that it has dual 8 ohm vc's, and it's on a guitar website...

proincar
Unregistered guest
well heres some more ts params...
FS................36
VAS...............6.95
SD................213.82
QTS...............0.545
QES...............0.577
QMS...............9.79
BL................23.86
RE................5.5x2
Nom Ohm...........8 x 2
Le................2.858m H
Mms...............259.59
XMAX..............0.75"
XMECH.............1.5"
SPL...............103db
Frequency Resp....30-1500hz
Coil Size.........4"
Coil Type.........copper clad aluminum
Cone Type.........treated paper
surround type.....accordion
binding posts.....gold
basket type.......cast alluminum
Magnet size.......200oz
Rms Power recom...1000rms watts
max power recom...2000watts

proincar
Unregistered guest
um actually this is a pro audio site...they sell pa gear...cords...subs...amps...stands...much more than a guitar website...thats only part...and most power amps arent below 2 ohm stable mono...lol...most amps are 4 ohm stable mono...actually i have never seen a pro audio amp that is 2 ohm stable mono...so a dual 8 vc wired in a parrallel should give ya 4 ohms which fits most any amp...in the pro world at least...

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3385
What exactly do you consider a pro audio subwoofer? I don't get where your getting this "pro audio" crap from...

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 356
damn that sub has a bl of 23, the most i've ever seen is 15 with my atlas's. but for being an 18 and it can only go down to 30hz that pretty bad.imo

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1304
"Madison 100db, Dual 8ohm voice coil, 25-1500hz, treated and ribbed paper cone, heavy duty spider, strong glue joints, bolted magnet, accordion surround, vented pole piece, platinum binding posts. This woofer has a dual voice coil. Its like 2 coils in one with double the hookups at 8ohm each. They can be paralleled together for a 4ohm load or you can wire them in series for a 16ohm load or wire them in true stereo mode at 8ohm each side."

The description itself sounds horrible-the way it's worded, the features emphasized, everything.

The part that really caught me was "wire them in true stereo mode at 8ohm each side" That thing would fry after a few hours of use if it was wired like that.

proincar
Unregistered guest
-joe...ok...i consider pro audio equipment stuff that will fill 4 high school sized gyms with sound...ive got 12 of these suckers(boxed in pairs...each box is 15 cubic feet and tuned to about 35 or so...)i got jbl srx for mids and highs...and u cant beat that stuff...lol...also pro audio stuff has 4" vcs and not little 2" stuff that i see MOST car audio stuff having...pro audio stuff has MUCH higher sensitivtys most good stuff is over 100 db...because they have to fill large areas with sound...
-dustin...the lowest note on a bass guitar is 40 hz...and if u used these for pro audio...thats fine cuz most pro audio equipment is used for bands and stuff...
-anybody...sry i really don't know anything about car audio...i just wanted to see what you guys thought...

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 957
dustin Bl changes with impendance. example- http://www.adireaudio.com/Mobile/MaelstromSeries.htm
and i think that is the highest rating i have even seen.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 958
ever* seen

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 476
the subwoofer looks poorly built to me...surround looks like it will allow for 10 mm x-max and no more...the fs is extremely high for an 18" subwoofer...so it won't hit very deep

proincar
Unregistered guest
jexx...pro stuff usually has 1 coil...so they are explaining what a dvc sub is like...i agree wire them in true stereo mode at 8ohm each side...that is stupid...subs are supposed to be mono...unless u have multiple subs...and yes the description kinda sucks...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1308
Ah, the two voice coils are bound together.
Upload

You can see in this picture that if they were moving independently from each other (stereo) they would obviously seperate, causing the speaker to cease working.

Taken from: http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/dvc/whatisDVC.html

proincar
Unregistered guest
Jexx-ik...im not dissagreeing with you at all...i know what a dvc coil looks like i own 12 of them not to mention many other subs i have owned in the past...i agree that running a stereo signal to a single sub is dangerous...and thats y i don't do it...
Ryan-accordion surrounds are used in pro audio more...i think it has something to do with sensitivity but im not sure...don't quote me...also what else looks poorly built...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1311
No problem, just didn't want you to be misinformed heheh.

Silver Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 114
Pro audio subs would not be so hot for a car because they use very stiff surround so they can withstand 6 hours of full range sound at 2000watt RMS without melting. They may do real well in a SPL comp but there would be power issue's, and SQ would not be there.
As far as Pro sub's go, I think they need really large enclosures and you need to be a little to far away from the woofer to be any use in a car.

Anyway, whats the point? there's good car stuff that will aid in hearing loss within a few seconds!

proincar
Unregistered guest
yea ik...i was jw...i might do it someday...just pop a box or 2 in my gmc jimmy and see what happens...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us