Orion 2500D and 12" MT wiring options

Bronze Member
Username: Acevolkov

Springfield, Missouri United Stated

Post Number: 48
what would be the best way to wire this sub? i dont know if i wanna go series or parallel. any help please

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 959
get the dual 2ohm version and wire it in parrelel

Silver Member

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 960
i hope you have a good electrical system

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
200 amp iraggi alternator, 1 farad cap, and a yellow top. hope thats enough

Silver Member

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 962
yea that will do.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3764
no that will not do! that amp at ful;l draw ia capable of pulling 200 amps itself. All the battery will do is help you if you run your system while the car is not running and a cap well you might as well throw that 1F cap away in this situation because it will pull the charge faster from the cap running that much power so fast. Think what charges your car? your alternator, now I am not saying you dont already know this but I would like to inform you a little bit. Your battery is responsable for starting your car, your altertnator is responsable for running your cars electrical system and charging your battery to full capacity for its next start. Now the more things you add to your electrical system the more your alternator has to work to keep up. How do you think your cap gets its power? from your alternator and with a amp like the 2500D capable of that much current draw you are gonna run ito some serious problems my friend at peak volumes with that set-up.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3765
A capacitor will NOT:
-make your system magically sound 10 times better.Many people believe that a capacitor adds NO real benefit to an audio system, and this is why you never see before and after demonstrations, or factory capacitor company vehicles at car shows.
-Replace the need for a larger, high-output alternator and/or a deep-cycle battery or batteries.
If your electrical system is inadequate, the ONLY way to fix this, and again I repeat, the ONLY WAY to fix this, is to replace the alternator if your voltage rails are sagging to below 12 volts while the car is running. This is the SOLE source of electrical current for your car when the motor is running. The car's battery is in parallel with the alternator, and while the battery will help to stablize voltage at 12VDC, the alternator puts out a higher voltage, and if your voltage rails are dropping to 12 volts, you're already overdrawing the alternator's capacities, and if your voltage rails sag to below 12 volts then you're also going beyond the abilities of the battery or batteries to stablize your voltages. Both of these symptoms will result in battery and alternator damage.
A capacitor only masks these symptoms, in much the same way as regulating voltage to your headlights so they won't dim as bass hits, when voltages can fluctuate between 14.4VDC and 12VDC.

When the motor is turned off, the battery then becomes your source of electricity.
When the battery is run down, and when the capacitor(s) is/are depleted, the alternator has to work even harder in order to supply current to the car, the audio system, and also to recharge the capacitor(s) (which deplete more quickly) than they recharge) as well as recharge the car's battery(ies).

If you plan to use the audio system for prolonged periods at high volumes with the car turned off (such as for SPL events) you'll want to use isolated deep cycle batteries dedicated to the audio system to avoid damage to the batteries, and damage to the speakers and equipment from clipping.

So by adding a capacitor to try taking the place of a high-output alternator, you are actually causing more work for your alternator, and causing even more damage to that stock alternator.

I got that from Glasswolf's web site. Hope you dont mind Glass but you say it much better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
how big of an alternator do i need to power my car? iraggi only gave me quotes on a 200 amp alternator, will i have to go with excessive amperage to get what i need?

Silver Member

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 964
not trying to start anything...but i seriously doubt that he's goign to be playing that amp at full power for long periods of time or he will go deaf. ANd also because of impendance rise even if he did play that amp at full power impendance rise is a pain because the amp will barely stay at a 1 ohm load the whole time..it will only stay at around a 1 ohm load around the tuning of the enclsoure but other then that impendance will be at aroudn 2-8 ohms unless he's goign to build a huge enclsoure or a ABC enclsoure.

But i understand what you're saying James.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3766
I hear ya apoc but I am just keeping him informed with what the final outcome would be if he does. I know you arnt trying to start anything no biggie bro. The thing is you nor I know who this guy is and how he plays his music so thats why I said what I did.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3767
depending on if this is gonna be a daily driver I would say absolutely. if that is the only amp you are gonna be running(I hope its not or your mids and highs will be severly drained out) you would be fine with a 250amp depending on your vehicle. If you are running any other amps then I would calculate the peak amp draw from both amps, add them up and add atleast 50-75 amps for your car to run again depending on the vehicle.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3781
It's much easier to listen to 1000w of bass vs, 300w of highs. That will surely crack your windows.
Try this experiment. Place wine glasses in front of hard bullet tweeters and send 100w rms of ear piercing power to them (that's 100w to each tweeters). It should crack the glass. It was an old experiment that I saw long time ago. Maybe it might need a bit more than 100w nowdays since so many manufacturers overrate the products.
I strongly suggest you wear ear plugs.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3768
your absolutely correct Isaac.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
how would i calculate the peak amp draw?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3770
a good way to get an estimate is to add the # of RMS watts and divide by 12.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
thanks. one more question. my car(you can see it on my profile) has a stock 70 amp alternator. its basically gone and im gonna replace it with a HO alternator. the problem is that i have contacted both iraggi and excessive, and the biggest i can get is from iraggi for a 200 amp. is there a way i can get a dual alternator kit for my car? and if i buy another 2500D (so 2) can i use the dual alternators to run the two amps off of one battery?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us