Kicker 12" Comp CVR Dual VC Subs

Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 10
Okay, I'm about 90% committed to a Kicker KX1200.1 Mono Amp rated at 1200w X 1 RMS at 1 ohm. Now I have a few questions about these Comp CVR subs:

1) These subs are rated at 400w RMS and 800w Max. Will these subs hold up to this amp, or is it just a disaster waiting to happen?

2) Do I need Dual 4 ohm VCs all wired in parallel to get the 1 ohm load using 2 12s? If not, which VC config. do I need?

3) The recommended sealed box for these subs ranges from 1-3 cubic ft. What is the difference between using a 1 cubic ft. sealed box compared to a 3 cubic ft. sealed box? Is it a frequency difference?

3)

Silver Member
Username: Iowahawks19

Post Number: 360
you could run 3 cvr's off of it and be PERFECT, if you only run two off of it, you'll be overpowering each by 200 watts which is alot

what is that amps specs in different ohm loads?

Bronze Member

TN

Post Number: 11
Mike,

I think it's 600w RMS @ 2 ohms, but I definitely want the full power at the 1 ohm load. I guess going with 3 of the subs wouldn't be out of the question since they are only about $70 on eBay. Would I need 2 ohm VCs or 4 ohm VCs if I use 3 of these subs? How would I wire 3 of them to get the 1 ohm load?

Any idea about the box volume question?

Bronze Member

TN

Post Number: 12
I feel stupid for asking this, but I have another question now.

Will I get more bass from 3 of these subs with the correct amount of 400w RMS going into each sub, or would I get more bass with the extra watts going into just 2 of these subs? Common sense tells me that 3 subs will give me more bass, but the extra watts going into just 2 subs makes me wonder.

Silver Member

Post Number: 365
welll you can't get a 1 ohm load, but you can get a 1.34 ohm load (with the dvc 2ohm subs) which i don't know what your amp will be putting out at that(somwherea round 1000 im GUESSING) you could look into a slightly bigger amp(if youw wanted to go 3) or slightly smaller (if you just wanted 2)

orrrrr another option would to get the 15" cvr's which are 500w rms and if you run 1200 watts rms to 1000 watts rms you should be fine

Mikey H
Unregistered guest
As the first Mike said, youd be giving them 200 extra watts, which is a disaster waiting to happen. You may be able to pull it off if you are real careful and set gain to about .01, but giving a sub that much over RMS is never good. Also about the box volume, its a matter of taste. The smaller the box the more "high impact" the subs will be, whereas the bigger the box the flatter the response curve, for better SQ

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 828
actually u can get a 1 ohm load...get 2 4 ohm and 1 2 ohm and wire the 2 4's in2 a 2 ohms then the 2 2's in2 a 1 ohm

Silver Member

Post Number: 366
haha that was confusing but i guess it can be done, go for it, you'll be powering all 3 PERFECT, and those subs will hit pretty hard(for the $) and still sound decently clean

Silver Member
Username: Jonez788

Post Number: 131
Don't ever put any more power than you need to those subs. My suspension was shot becauase the amp put out 200 more watts than those subs were rated for when I had them. Now I have some Pioneer 3000SPL.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us