Power options (wiring)

Bronze Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 59
i have 2 infinity kappa perfects (dual 4 ohm, 400W RMS each) and an infinity ref1211a amp (monoblock, 854W RMS x1 @ 4 ohms, or 1300W RMS x1 @ 2ohms).

Should i series parallel them to 4 ohms to give each 426W RMS, or shoud i wire them individually in parallel (2 ohms each) to give em 650W RMS?

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Dubuque, Iowa United States

Post Number: 762
2 dual 4 ohm subs would yield a 1 or 4 ohm load so just wire it at a 4 ohm load and you set.

about your other question. If you would be able to give them 650 watts they would blow. But you cant do that anyway.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
um, i can wire them to 2 ohms each because the amp has two pos and neg outs - hence, monoBLOCK.

don't people overpower their subs all the time? is 250W over just too much?

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 948
umm infinity, if its a monoblock that means it has 1 channel first off just to let you know and also..the only reason that the amp has 2 pos and 2 neg outs is because it makes it easier to wire but its still only a 1 channel amp.If you wire both subs in parrelel and i imagine that inside the amp its wired in parrelel also then you will have a 1 ohm load..My suggesion is to wire it like this the second picture in the link below using only 1 pos and 1 neg on the amp http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?subs =2&impedance=DVC4x2.

and yes most of the time people over power their subs but really accutally never over power their subs because ecnlsoures have impendance rise which changes the well impendance that the amp see's and puts out whatever the amp is capable of putting out at that ohm load..and 2 your sub will never be seeing all full 250wrms over the rated because i doubt you goign to go blasting your subwoofer at full volume.

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 938
Ok, The reason it has 2 + and -'s. Each set is considered one "block". Now since theres 2 sets that means theres 2 blocks. Now when you only have one block hooked up the full power will be goin to that block, But if you have a speaker on one block and another speaker on the other block the power will be equally divided among the 2. It was generally designed to give more wiring options.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
i know its one channel. however, i didn't know that it would be a split line on the inside, i just never considered it, though it seems so obvious. i feel kinda dumb now. there's just so much to learn!

anyways, i already have em wired at 4, i was just wondering. thanks for the clear up!

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 954
hey if you wanna learn some stuff on car audio i reccomend basic car audio electronics
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us