This sucks

Silver Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 211
Well i finally built my box for my Avalanch 15 and to my dismay, when I tried putting it in the car it wouldn'g go through the trunk. So I kicked and I kicked until it went in the trunk (now mind you this was a so called test fitting before i put the sub in). Well after about a half hour of kicking I finally got it to go through the hole in the trunk. Now its time to mount the sub. And wouldn't you know it the cutout for the sub is to dang big. So now I've got a box in the trunk that is useless as a used c0ndom and a sub that is now back in its original crate from Ascendant ready to sell or trade for something smaller. So if anyone is interested in buying my Avalanch or trade for it im open to all REASONABLE offers. Remeber this thing is brand new bought two weeks ago tried but never mounted or played.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3740
I would build a new box not get rid of that sub!

Silver Member
Username: Subzer0

Richmond, KY USA

Post Number: 441
size?.. price?

Silver Member

Post Number: 212
This is the second box that hasnt fit in the trunk my car (honda civic 4dr sedan) was not made to house a 15. The opening in the trunk is just to small to house such a big woofer. Im just so frustrated with the whole scenario I just want it over and done with. I would like now to go with a RE XXX 12" but im not sure the box specs for that sub will fit in my trunk.

Justin, the sub is a 15" Ascendant Audio Avalanche
And im entertaining all offers but i will not lose any money on this if that helps.

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Dubuque, Iowa United States

Post Number: 748
i fit a dual 15 inch in my car oso. Try making one sealed ecnlosure that is long and slender and have the sub facing up.

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 819
hey oso...email me with the lowest price u will go lol danny__keen54@hotmail.com

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8849
there's a saying in the cabinetry business I'd like to pass along at this point.

"measure twice, cut once."

you should have measured both the opening in the trunk, and angle of entry as well as the opening for the sub thoroughly before you made the first cut in the MDF.
You'd have gotten it all on the first try.
Sorry you're having these problems. That's always frustrating.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3360
To add, how'd you make the sub opening too big? Ascendant gives the cut-out diameter right on their website - 14.125".

Don't feel bad though Oso, I had the same problem, I measured everything, the box just barely fit, then when I go to put it in, I forgot about the angle that I'd be putting it in on, and the trunk opening wasn't large enough. So I ended up taking everything out of my trunk, taking my plywood floor out, taking the false floor over the spare tire out, taking the tire out, then I was just barely able to squeeze the box in. Afterwards I had to try and piece everything back in with the box now in the trunk. It took quite a while, and trust me I'll never have that problem again...

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 777
well joe you won't have to worry about your sh1t getting stolen out of your trunk. at least your sub box

Silver Member

Post Number: 214
Joe, beleive it or not I went by that cutout size and it was to big for some reason every screw I tried putting missed even when I tried toe nailing it. Right now im really stuck on stupid about this sub. I want to keep it but I have just not had any luck with it after the actualy purchase.

Compluva, I am askinhg for best offers for a reason. I dont have a set price. Im just asking people for best offers right now and if I dont see an offer I like I wil just keep it. I might consider trades for a sub of equal value. in a 12" that is

Silver Member
Username: Sancho886

El Cajon, CA US

Post Number: 203
Oso,
I have a RE Hc i would trade. If you got the xxx you would probably have to get a different amp to push it because it's 1600wrms. The HC is 1200wrms dual 2ohm vc so you could use the same amp you were going to use for the ava. I can get you pics if you are interested. Let me know. I dont know where you live but I am in CA so maybe we are close.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3744
if you went by that cutout you messed something up because it worked fantastic for me.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8862
angling one side of the enclosure may help when inserting the box. I've had issues with Accords myself building boxes you can take back out later.. th trunk opening looks big till you see that the box has to tilt when it's half way in if you want it to go into the trunk.
shallow and wide works better than deep and narrow in this case, for a box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 216
Glass I had one of the boxes with a slant front and it doesnt fit. I reall am just lost right now. Two diffrent enclosures, 3 sheets of mdf, 2 bottles of gorilla glue, a bunch of holes drilled, countersunk, and screwed later I just dont know what to do.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3364
Your trunk can't be that small. What size box did you make? Mine is 2.5 cf sealed, and like I said, I had to go through a bunch of crap to get it in, but now that it's in, I can move it around and there's plenty of room. I could easily have made mine much wider, and less tall, but I totally forgot about the insertion angle.

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
the first box is a rear horn design and the second is just a ported box 3.5cf tuned to 36 if the depth was shortened by 3" i could probably get it in but thats gonna throw off all other dimensions

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3745
that ported box with that sub would sound awfully boomy! with the low FS of the avalanche being at 15hz you want to tune your enc;losure to 20-23hz and around 6-10cu/ft. the best box I have found for the ava is 2.25-2.5 cu/ft sealed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
ok im not very good with figuring out dimensions so can you give me the dimenwsions all i have to work with is 15 deep 33 wide and 16 tall (those are what i can get into the trunk before it would bottom out) any help figuring out panel dimensions would be greatly appreicateed

Bronze Member
Username: Dtribe

Post Number: 82
you know man i have had problems like that and i would have to build a smaller box and sacrafice sound quality and theyre is a saying for time like this
"You cant fit 10 pounds of sh+t in a 5 pound bag It just wont set on fire then ppl will just open theyre door and see 10 pounds of sh+t on theyre doorstep and wont stomp in it to put it out"

I never really figured out what that ment

Silver Member

Post Number: 219
Can someone give me a set of plans for a sql box that will fit the above dimensions im willing to pay need by tommorow

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3746
I run my box at 16in(H)X16in(d)X24in(W) those are outside dimensions usind 3/4in mdf with the front baffle doubled up. It yields right around 2.5cu/ft. I am more then happy with this set-up, I know Joe is running a similar set-up as well.

Silver Member
Username: Fordpwr

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 302
Hey Oso, You said your not willing to lose money if you sell your Avalanche so why don't I pay you the total cost you paid for it, when you ordered it. Sounds like a deal ,yeah ? C'mon just sell it to me and save the trouble of going through another box. You can buy your x.x.x. 12" and be happy. By the way you don't need 1600 w rms to push that x.x.x. I have an 18" x.x.x. taking 1200 w rms and its so fu(ken loud.

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
Well ive decided to give it one more shot if this doesnt work im done with this and trading for a re xxx (already have someone lined up)

Username: Proks

Post Number: 4
k if ur gonna sell let me knwo bro

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3751
I have a few for sale if you are interested Beau.

Bronze Member
Username: Voodoochilde

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 97
what year civic do you have Oso. Because I have a '97 sedan and was looking to get a 15" ava, but it would be sealed at around 2.5 cubic feet like James said above.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us