My subs work great...but my car doesn't...

Bronze Member
Username: Kunit

Post Number: 61
I was boomin out the tunes when all of a sudden my car stopped. Come to find out the timing belt broke on my 89' 2.5L Reliant. I know this isn't a car forum but there seems to be a lot of people here that know cars and a lot of people circulate around this forum compared to other forums i've tried to find out how to replace the belt. I managed to get the old belt out no trouble because it was broke...hehehe. But putting a new one on looks a lot harder then what I thought. Could anyone tell me step by step what to remove so I could slip the new belt on. Also...i read on here that you have to unplug a wire on the thermostat to time the engine...I found a step by step guide how to time the engine...but am stumped on how to take the pulleys off, and which ones to remove. I'm going to see if i can get the service manual at the library. I looked for a microfishe online but couldnt find one...If anyone can help, please do! it would be greatly appreciated! I need to listen to music again!

Bronze Member
Username: Thelonewolf

Post Number: 15
are you sure it was your timming belt not your serpentine belt? if it was your timming belt your car is toast man, you need new heads or maybe just valves. if it was your serpentine belt it is an easy fix.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4343
We can generalize, but those of us that haven't dealt with a 2.5L specifically (like myself) can't help you a lot. Every engine has specific quirks that have to work around, therefore first and foremost, a Haynes manual is one of the best tools you can have and I strongly recommend you getting one, it'll give you very specific step by step instruction and pictures throughout. You should have timing marks to line the camshaft up with the No 1 piston at TDC. It's usually that simple with a SOHC engine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Actually...its a non-interference engine so when the timing belt goes...the pistons don't hit the valves. UNLESS, the engine was turning 6000 RPM. I dont think a k-car will turn 4000. LMAO.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1993
i now how you feel man, my car took a crap on me, i had a bad front seal leak, and it got worse and i didnt know, and i threw a rod bearing, so im sol

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3374
George, like Ricky said, are you sure it wasn't the serpentine and not the timing belt? Your gonnd some damage if your timing belt blows and your cruising down the road...

Maybe this will help a little, does this belt that broke happend to go around your alternator at one point? If it is, then it's the serpentine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
If it is a non interfering engine it still can do damage what is the deflection and tolerance? well any way to do a timming belt you need to buy a kit, pull the timing belt cover off, replace all the pullies and tensioners. set your timming with your timming marks, some times on the belt sometimes on the engine or the other pullies, put your belt on, tighten it, check trackingmake sure timming is right, then retighten everything and start it up. you will need a bunch of diff tools... it is a pain... pay someone to do it... of and befor starting pull yoru valve covers and check to see your valves are still all there and check your oil for filings or chunks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
ok thanks...im gonna get someone to do it. I also have a bad oil seal leak..hahaha. Rod bearing...arghhh...engine swap!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
and it was the timing belt I bought one today and it what broke on the car. it was indeed the timing belt that went.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
good, sorry it wasnt an easy fix, i actually made out like a bandit on a saab that thee timming belt went, put a new engine in and with everything it was a grand total of like 4500$ it was nice considering the car at a dealer or w/e is alot more... good luck...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us