Budget System for my Bro/ CVR's ? / Glasswolf ?

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1866
My brother has a 97 honda civic lx 4 door sedan.

He has the stock radio setup with no cd or tape player. Only Radio.

He does have a Pioneer DEH-1500 HU from his last car that he could use if it works out. Not sure if it has any preouts for a sub amp or not. Very Basic unit.

Its gonna be a budget setup and he wants to put in a sub or two depending on which will sound better for rap since thats all he listens to in the car.

He needs the sub or subs and a amp to power it.

I was thinking going the kicker route but i wasnt sure.

Give me a good budget setup for this glass. Thanks

Budget is $500.00 for everything including wires and box for this.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1868
Ok i found out that it has 1 set of preouts (2V)

Silver Member
Username: Iowahawks19

Post Number: 351
he want just straight out spl? mix between them? or SQ

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1869
No he wants SQL. He wants it to be loud and have some accuracy aswell. He's not looking to compete or anything. Somthing for a daily driver that gets loud and clear.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1871
No he wants SQL. He wants it to be loud and have some accuracy aswell. He's not looking to compete or anything. Somthing for a daily driver that gets loud and clear.

Silver Member

Post Number: 353
sql on a budget?? im going to have to say Alpine Type R/Kicker CVR, and MAYBE RF p2's, but i would deffinately go with alpine or kickers first

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1873
Thanks, i think thats what ill look into.

Silver Member

Post Number: 354
hey MO, also talk to chris klein, he has some RE 12's and they are cheap(77 $ shipped to his door) he said he loves them, those are also another choice,

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1874
I figured out that i have a 1.5 cuft box tuned to 32 hz and that is exaclty what the RE 12 ported is. That works out perfect..

So how much is a RE 12 ? $77 shipped ?

I will just order 1 re 12.

What is the RMS on the RE 12 and what amps whould your recommend ?

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1876
?

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Dubuque, Iowa United States

Post Number: 752
RMS is 175 and they are dual 4 ohm voice coil subs. The cheapest rout would be an amp that can go down to 1 ohm if you get 2. I cant say that i would only go with one of them though. 4 of them is plenty loud and punchy, while i think that one might be lacking in the spl area while still being punchy. I do have mine sealed though. I personally wouldnt go any less then 2. They are 77 shipped to Dubuque, IA right next the the Mississippi river if you dont know where it is.

Silver Member

Post Number: 753
i could use my amp to hook up one to see how it sounds, but i doubt that it would alst putting about 700 watts to it. lol

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1877
Chris, i was thinking of going with 1 RE 12 ported at 1.5 cuft tuned to 32hz because i already have a box like that sitting around my house that isnt being used plus its only $77 shipped.

What do you think about running it off a JL Audio e1200 which does 200 rms x 1 @ 2 ohm and thats at 12.5 volts. It costs $169.99 at woofersetc.com
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=249

So one RE 12 ported should get fairly loud and ill be giving it good clean power.

let me know what you think. Its for my brothers 97 civic lx sedan

Silver Member

Post Number: 755
People have said that 1 ported should sound like 2 sealed because of the 3db differnce. Although i personally dont know that for sure. If your voltage is above 12.5 volts and that amp puts out a lot over 200 i cant say for sure that it will handle it. It is an RE product and can prob handle more then the recommened RMS. JL does make a good product though.

I would imagine that you could find a cheaper amp to run them then that one, but i will look around.

Silver Member

Post Number: 756
There is a bunch of those amps on ebay, some with a buy it now of 133 so if you go with that one get it off of ebay.

Silver Member

Post Number: 757
I would have to say that they are SQL oriented from what i have heard so far. The next thing i am going to do is test them out with the test tracks off of realmofexcursion. Let me know when you plan on buy so that i can test them with the songs and give you a more detailed description.

By the way, i am running my 4 off of a Zapco 500.1 so i am not running some cheap POS amp.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1878
I put up my zapco 500m on ebay for sale as you know. I could have used that for this. But i am only using one of these subs ported. I plan on ordering tommorow. Just not sure if its reliable ordering it for $133 of ebay or not. I may end up doing that setup though. Thanks for your help chris. Definetly test those bass tracks from that site for me. LEt me know what to do hear.

Silver Member

Post Number: 758
I will try to do it tomorrow(today actually). They are a powerseller and handle many car audio products with over 98% positive feedback. I personally have never odered anything through them though.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1880
Thanks Chris, I may bid on a used 250/1 because that whould be even better then the e1200. If i cant win that then ill drop to the e1200 and run the RE 12 ported at 1.5 cuft. tuned to 32hz for my brothers car.

Silver Member

Post Number: 760
DO NOT BID on the 250/1 because it would fry the voic coils of the sub. The sub is rated to have a MAX power of only 250, plus that amp is underated.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8848
my thoughts..

keep the pioneer head unit
look for a Coustic XM-3 on ebay.. figure $25 used
that'll give you front/rear/sub outs, fully adjustable

one or two RE RE12 subs @ $69 each
vented enclosure from ebay, $50 shipped

mono amp for the sub(s) like a JBL bp600.1 or a hifonics or something in the $200 or less range.

after that I'd go with front components.. CDT perhaps.. $150 per set or less

if he can afford it, look for a small 2 or 4 channel amp and rear speakers after that and he's done

Silver Member
Username: Letto

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 114
There's nothing wrong with having too much power. Just turn down the gains... Actually, I prefer having too much power rather than too little, or even rather than the exact same. Too much power turned down has a less chance of hurting the sub anyway. 90% of sub damage comes from clipping, which happens from trying to maximize too little power. I usually recommend a minimum of 20% more RMS power on your amp than your subs.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8856
that's considering the user knows enough to not drive the subs beyond their mechanical limits by overpowering them.
that game is like saying "get a car with more power than you'll ever need.. just remember not to stick your foot in it"
how often is that really going to happen unless you're dealing with an experienced, professional driver who knows the car's limits, and his own limits intimately.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1882
Glass, im gonna stay with 1 RE 12 ported for now but im deciding on the jl e1200 or the 250/1 for the amp. Which one ?

Is this the CDT componant set you are talking about ?

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1090

Any good amps come to mind for the CDT's that fit the budget fit the.

http://www.cdtaudio.com/classic2000MidDriv.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us