Subs for SQL? 2 12's? 1 15"?

Username: Wary

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 1
I currently have 2 12" RF HX2 punch's.
Powered with a 600watt RF power amp. I konw I need a bigger amp, so I was thikning about buying a RF 10001bd mono locally for $340?

I've read some of the threads, and somewhat discouraged to keep the RF's.
I want something with very good SQ and good SPL.
Looking to spend between $1000-$2000. I konw some of you may think I'd be stupid to sell the RF's cause anything past that might be overkill, but I could sell the subs locally for $200 each. Want something louder and great SQ. perferably the best or close to within reason. Still be willing to keep the RF's if it'd almost be a waste of money and time to get other ones.
I have a 98 Integra coupe, and plan to dynomat most of it. Mostly cause I love great sound reproduction, had my Shure E3's for awhile now and they are great!
I listen to mostly rap, hiphop, rnb, and I like low freq.
I konw there's the choices of RE, Eclipse, Infinity, Alpine, JL, ID, Braham, but I have no idea if I should go 2 12" or 1 15"? Only so much you can pack into the back of a hatchback.
The 2 12" HX2's are in a normal 1" MDF box, but wondering if I should go custom box? I would thikn sealed, like they already are in.
I hear the 15" is a lil slow to respond and i might not get the SQ and loudness I'd get from 2 12"?

Sounds like a lot of questions, but I'm sure to some of the experienced people on this forum the answers come quite simple.

Also need 4 6.5, was lookin at gettin Focal components, then utopia 6.5 for the rear? or BA might be a better choice? Also mp3 playing and recovering, satelitte deck.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated! and hopefully help out others reading this.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 606
If you're going for SQL, look into a 12" Eclipse Ti. And put it in a sealed box. The 15" WILL be a little slow...

That RF amp is great. The new line is an awesome one, and highly underrated to make up for the last couple of years. For $340, you should buy me one!!! And I'm dead seriouse.

For low frequencies, I'd say Avalanche, but it doesn't do the greatest in small encolosures, which is what it sounds like you're after. The Eclipse SW9122 (Ti) does very good in small (1-2cu/ft) sealed enclosures. Hope this info helps...

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 2
yeah thanks man, how do you think it would compare to Infinity Kappa Perfect 12 VQ, RE SX, JL W6, Alpine TypeX, Bamha's, or anything else? Rockford T10001bd amp would power any 2 12" subs fine eh? thinkin it's within the 1000rms range

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1845
Avalanche 15 will sound the best between 2.25-2.5 sealed enclosure.

Silver Member

Post Number: 610
The T10001bd is about 1,300 watts RMS. It "should" have a birth sheet that will tell you. And it should power two Ti's fine, but I'd personally go with it's big brother, the T20001bd. And it's better than all of those subs, IMHO.

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 3
I just went over to a local high-end dealer in our city "the only one" and they carried Eclispe! couldn't believe it really, and Focal and Hertz mostly for subs and Clarion and ALpine for decks. TOld me to go Eclipse Ti for my ride and Hertz components, and Clarion deck for Satelitte. Told me this new Clarion amp would be the best for the 2 12" Eclipse SW9122, amp is new 3 weeks old from Clarion 1200watt continuous for $500?
http://www.audioconceptsmobile.com/

I'd rather get anything from these guys than over Ebay or another hplace cause of warrenty, and convinience. any other good names they sell other than Focal and Eclipse you guys see?

Silver Member

Post Number: 619
I'm now a dealer, I'll sell you two 12" Eclipse SW9122's for $550 plus shipping. Full warranty. It'll just take awhile before I can get them to you.

(I have no inventory)

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1858
Jake how are you a dealer now ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 627
:D

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 5
he said $700CDN for the pair, that's 1 year warrenty and readily available. how long would it take you to get them to Canada? Are there any amps out there that would power them a lot better than a RF 10001bd for $340 or are there better amps out there for that price to power those subs? or a 1200watt continous for $650CDN?

Silver Member

Post Number: 628
I don't know what'd it'd be in Canadian currency. But shipping would kill, so go for that deal, sounds like a good deal. For the amp, I'd go with the Eclipse DA7232. He should be able to get that to you for around $800, if he's willing. It's closer to Zapco in performance, with a price tag closer to RF. If you're going with RF, go with the 20001 or the 30001.

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 6
thanks a lot for your help man.
the brands that they carry are:
alpine, audiocontrol, audison, beltronis, CAE, Clarion, Eclipse, Escourt, Focal, Hertz, Monster, Nakamichi

you think that amp would be the best one out of those brands i could get?

Silver Member

Post Number: 631
Eclipse

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 7
they told me Hertz is comparable to Focal components 6.5, but cheaper, anyone heard of Hertz?

Silver Member
Username: Dz43893

Chicago, Illinois United states

Post Number: 226
for 1 eclipse ti the t10001 would be good though right

Silver Member

Post Number: 635
Yea. But bigger IS better!

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 9
lol, well I figured a 15" would be too big for my lil hatchback
gonna go 2 12"s sealed, just not sure which subs or amp for SQL

Silver Member

Post Number: 637
A 15" should fit if two 12" will...

Username: 02gsxr

Post Number: 9
I agree, either an Eclipse Titanium 12 SW9122, or an Image Dynamics IDMax. The Eclipse Titanium would be my choice, but not the Clarion Amp!!

Check out Eclipse's DA6213, or better yet - if they still have it. Ask them for Eclipse's 34230 - it is by far the best amp Eclipse has ever made, however they stopped making it this year. Who knows, they might have one left over from last year!

Another thing I should point out is that Eclipse's Titanium woofers say they are 4ohm coils, however they are actually 2.8ohms. And guess what, Eclipse's 34230, and DA6213 make a true 1100W RMS at 2.8ohms, not the 740W they are rated at. That is why they are rated as 1100W amps, because they are designed to work with the Titanium with 2.8ohm coils.

Bronze Member
Username: 02gsxr

Post Number: 11
BTW, Don't bother with the DA7232. It will actually make less power than the DA6213 or 34230 with that sub. That amp only will only make 500Wx2 with the one titanium. If you got 2 titaniums and ran them parallel, it would make 2000W, but otherwise you are better off with the other 2 amps I mentioned.

Trust me, I had a very long talk with the head tech's about this when I used to sell Eclipse at our shop!! The 2 amps I mentioned are made specifically for the Titanium! The DA7232 is designed to work well with the Titanium Pro.

Bronze Member

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 12
34230 is 1000watt
6213 is 850watt?
the guy said the subs are rated at like 450rms, but he's seen them do 1600rms. I'm just looking for the best sub for these things in terms of SQL without spending over $800US, but those amps are considerably cheaper, and I could get some. I still dont' understand why they would work better? sorry... i had my sites set on 7232 cause it seems to produce 2000watt?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us