Holy sh!t

me420
Unregistered guest
my friend told me "if you want find out how good your sub is this is what you do, take a plastic cup, fill it full of water and place it on top of the sub box while it is playing and see how the water moves" well i tried it today on my little 8inch sony sub in my house stereo i played the song "bump" by kottonmouth kings and omg when the bass kicked in the cup shook vilently spilling water every, i couldn't believe a little 8 inch sub and sony none the less could this.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3321
Maybe your box is poorly built and flexes more than it should?

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 767
your friend is dumb

Bronze Member
Username: Hurleyblink

Post Number: 79
my one audiobahn aw120t does that and i only got 250 wats rms runnin to it... shakes the sh*t outta my car as well, but im getting rid of that and upgrading to kicker

Silver Member
Username: Subzer0

Richmond, KY USA

Post Number: 417
... lol. I can't believe you tried it.. honestly. That's humor in itself..

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3323
A hint: Your friend was kidding, unless he's an idiot. What the heck did you think would happen if you put a glass of water on the box? It's not gonna take much to splash water.

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 349
ya kinda of a stupid idea but atleast u used a good song to try it out with.

me420
Unregistered guest
ya i kinda thought he was joking because after he told me to do it he started to laugh.i tried it because i had nothing better to do, and i figured it would vibrate, but i didn't figure that little sony sub could make bounce up and down and splash water every where i could see a 12 or 15 doin it but not a little 8. and the box uses 1/2 inch mdf board so it flexes a little bit but not a lot.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Ky

Post Number: 4632
maybe with some competition subs try a metal container with jello in it lol

Silver Member
Username: Jb502

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 194
you must have been very bored, i can't really see any reason to do something like this. 1/2 inch mdf is not thick enough. Prolly why the cup spilled, the box can't be very solid with 1/2 inch material.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8768
I have to agree, that friend is dumb.
all you;ve proven is that the cheap sony speakers are very poorly built and the cabinets are resonating badly.

Here's a real test of good home audio speakers:

take a nickle, and set it on edge, on top of the cabinet.
turn the stereo up as loud as you can.
see if the nickle moves, at all.

I can do this with my KEF refrence mains, and at 115dB+ that nickle doesn't so much as quiver.
That's due to good isolation, 72lbs of rosewood cabinets, and excellent internal damping. Each cabinet has two 8" woofers cavity loaded in an isovented design, and they move plenty of air.. but all of their energy is turned into sound instead of turned into rattling cabinets :-)

the same should go for a good sub enclosure in a car. it shouldn't resonate. that's loss of energy you don't want.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8769
by the way, those KEFs retaild for $3,600/pair, and that was back in 1991. They're high end speakers, built well, and imported from England.
http://www.kef.com/history/1980/model104_2.htm

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 608
Glass: that's a good test! I'm glad you shared that with us. I'm gonna go try it right now...

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8803
it's a good test to see how well isolated and damped the speaker cabinet is.. provided you have a flat speaker top of course.. I can't do it with my MartinLogans.. they're thin panels.. lol

Silver Member
Username: Mike_anthes

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 205
man glass why do have to show off all yur sweet gear...lol...;)

Username: 1bads10

Post Number: 4
not a bad idea,next time try it with ur bong

Bronze Member
Username: Mrrogers

Marshall, Illinois Usa

Post Number: 57
o its ok im a bigger dumbass. haha a little stunt like a glass of watter is nothing. i put my cell phone directly on my cone with my sub bumping full flex, cracking it in 7 different places thats why im gonna get a rf punch2

Bronze Member
Username: Bassss

Post Number: 19
y would u put anything on the sub when its playing lol

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 418
i hope your friend tries it again only the water falls onto the sub, somehow leakes through...shorts the sub and the amp...learning the hard sometimes is the best way to never do something so f-in stupid again haha

Bronze Member
Username: Gpz1100

Post Number: 45
Maybe the friend meant to use a sealed container or water....?

If you want to see the waves that the sub enclosure resonates, try a shallow pan of water. Make sure the contained is sealed. When it hits hard water won't go anywhere.

Really though it's a pointless test, you know waves are going to be produced with bass. Even at lower frequencies, the period of the waves would be pretty small.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us