Why is it louder with the windows down

Silver Member
Username: Jb502

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 186
My system, actually every system i have ever owned, has been way louder with the windows down, is this normal? And does anyone know why?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4325
I'm guessing you drive trucks mainly. They tend to suffer from cancellation because the cabin is so small and reflections occur. This will happen most with low bass frequencies since the wavelengths are longest.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1812
It happend to me also in my last 2 cars which were a mitsubishi galant and toyota camry. Anytime i rolled the front windows down i whould notice the same.

Username: Jnova80

Newmarket, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 7
i had an suv with 4 12" and 2 10" subs in it all off of one zapco amp, was hitting 143db with the windows up or down....suv's are great for that

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 187
i do have a truck, anything i can do about it, i don't really like it, i really won't like it in the winter time

Username: Jnova80

Newmarket, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 10
is cost an issue? if not, i ahve always wanted to try this since it is suposed to make your sub's sound much louder, i was talking to a JL audio rep and he gave me the idea to extend my ports from my subs to come up into the dash so that the base is boucing off your winshield INTO YOUR FACE!

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 189
i wouldn't even know how to go about doing something like that

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8708
http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/trunk.htm

Silver Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 206
all i say is if u have a truck, i reccommend seald or vented at most. no band pass. get some dynamat, and alot of watts. lol. ive had 3 trucks with systems. all i say is its a challange to make it hard hitting system sound clean with windows both down and up. Box design certainly helps

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Dubuque, Iowa United States

Post Number: 724
I drive a monte carlo and i think it is louder when the windows are up. I think that more then anything, it is dependent upon the vehicle.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8727
since nobody read that article I posted..

the reason the windows being up or down affects the output of the subs, is because the cabin of the car acts as a chamber for the speaker, much the same way as the speaker enclosure does. when you open windows, you change the volume of air the speaker is compressing by a very large amount, so the response of the speaker is altered accordingly.

that's a simplified way of explaining it.

remember just like inverting a sub, the speaker affects the air on both sides of it equally, so the air outside the sub box acts much like the air inside the box. Changing either volume, inside the box or out (of air) affects the sub's response.

Bronze Member
Username: Hardball

Elgin, Sc USA

Post Number: 15
Now that's an easy way of putting it

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 191
yes, but is there anything that can be done about it?

Glasswolf, i am going to read that article right not, i didn't have time b4 work this morning

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 192
good article but it doesn't mention anything about a truck

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8749
same situation..
you'll need to vent the cabin to outside air in some way to minimize the effect, or change enclosure types.

one reason I'm not a big fan of trucks for audio systems. difficult to work with to get good results.

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 193
What type of enclosure would be better. I have a ported one now. My cab actually had two vents in the back, behind the seat, but i covered them up when i did my dynamat. May i should uncover them huh?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8770
give that a try and see if it helps
if they're functional, it should solve the problem.

Bronze Member
Username: Bassss

Post Number: 13
if its louder with windows down did u ever notice if ur windows r down an u open the door it gets even more louder i notice that a couple of times it hits harder lol

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 607
I read the article...

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8780

...more louder?

hehehe

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 609
Yes? LOL!

Bronze Member
Username: Bigred2069

Post Number: 59
i read that article, but i have a big van hahah....so for now it doesnt matter, but i have to switch to an old grand prix, so the article helped for that car

Bronze Member
Username: Mrrogers

Marshall, Illinois Usa

Post Number: 54
so which would be louder in a car with the windows up sealed or ported???

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4342
Thank you. I was scrolling through a thread earlier today and that sh*t came up with pictures while my daughter was in the room.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8858
he's gone now, and IP blocked.
let's hope he stays gone.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us