Amp help needed.

PaulB
Unregistered guest
Hi, New board member here :-)
I am having a problem with an amp install. I have a Ford Exploder with a Alpine 7893 HU connected to two amps, One drives four 6x9's fitted in the doors, the other drives a JL 12" sub Stealth Box. Works perfect.

The problem I am having is I bought a new Amp for the 6x9's (A Kicker kx600.4) and when I hooked it up I get a lot of whine in the speakers. This has never been a problem before. I have the power cable under the floor mat on the passenger side and the three RCA cables under the floor mat on the driver side. The grounds are short and clean (about 12-14 inches in length), I rechecked them to make sure. For power, I am using 4 guage wire to a splitter and then 8 gauge wire to the amps at the back. The fuse holder is about 14 inches from the Battery and clean and secure....

The speaker wire is a good quality, copper based and dosnt run too near the power cable...!!!

When I hook up the old amp there is no problem. I even borrowed a different set of RCA cables and ran them from the HU to the amp and this made no difference..

Has any one any Idea what this problem is???
Its driving me nutz.

Could the Amp be toast??
It is new, out of the box.
Thanks for any help or suggestions...

P...

Bronze Member
Username: Kkmike

Chicago suburb

Post Number: 15
Here's a good troubleshooting guide; http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/rac-faq_2.html#SEC7

I would say you have a bad amp.

Mike

Silver Member
Username: Tbone

OK United States

Post Number: 244
Try grounding the amp in a different location, try to find a bare metal spot, and see if the whine is still there, if it is, the amp is the culprit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us