96 Firebird...sub help, please

Bronze Member
Username: Dustin507

Post Number: 42
hey everyone. I am getting a 96 Firebird, and I presently drive a 95 grand prix. I have 2 12" Alpine R type subs at the moment in a sealed box, and it is pretty heavy. I noticed in my grand prix that it weighed the back down quite a bit and made me bottom out easy, but I simply did not care knowing I would be getting a new car. But, now that I am getting the firebird, I do not wanna weight down the back like that, so I plan on selling my subs and getting just one for the firebird, my question is, what sub should it be? It needs to be rather light weight so I don't have the weighing down problem, but I also want it to slamn hard. I know it wont take much in this car because it is a hatchback with a small cabin a sub can sound loud in there pretty easily. So how bout it guys, which sub would fit my situation? thanks in advance

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 319
mabey a kicker cvr, they only weigh like 12 pounds i think and can get pretty loud in a firechicken.

Username: Bassss

Post Number: 9
make a ported box 13h 24w 17d fits perfect an it wont weight it down an just put 1 12 in it. it will b go0d if not g0 what u want 2 do

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 770
ha ha ha ha ha fire chicken lol...u could go with like 1 12 inch DD 2500 series, cant wiegh over 20 pounds.
www.ddaudio.com

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 622
damn if your car cant take the weight of 2 subs and a box then idk what to tell you..yiou could keep one of the Type Rs that would cut the weight in half and youll only lose 3db and SQ wise itll be the same thing

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3316
Get new shocks.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3723
thats exactly what I was gonna say! if your car is bottoming out with 2-12's and a box its not the car its your shocks/suspension. you should not have any problems in the new car with handling that weight.

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 394
dude...don't worry about weight...its less than having a person in your car...i have had a '94 and a '97 firebird...plenty of torque to still get muscle out of the engine

Bronze Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 30
actually 2 subs won't matter....i drive a 2001 firebird.....had 2 w'3s in it....3 amps a second battery and all the wireing and it didn't really affect it. if you want i got a ported box for a 93 up firebird i had built i don't need anymore....only askin 100 bucks shipped. tuned at 32hz and it's 3.25cubic foot. but i have a 58 pound W7 sub and a 50 pound speaker box in it now....it don't notice a diff.Upload

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 328
awwwwwwwwww that w7 looks nice, but my brother has a firechicken and he has two 12inch cvr's and his car doesn't squat or anything.

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Dubuque, Iowa United States

Post Number: 721
the RE series from RE is EXTREMELY LIGHT WEIGHT. Each on of the 12's weigh around 6 pounds. When they shipped all four it said 24lbs. Just figured i would mention it since CVR's weight was given and said light.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 329
only 6 pounds, damn i thought my COMP's were light and they weigh like only 9 pounds, i think.

Bronze Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 36
Damn 9 pounds? and just think i almost had a hernia triin to put my sub and box in the car. 100 plus pounds......i could have put 10 re's in my car and had the same amount of weight!

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 332
thats just the sub with the box and everything it came to a little over 50 pounds.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us